I Forge Iron

Anvil find

New to the site and trying to set myself up with equipment. I put out feelers for an anvil and a family friend sent me a picture of one that he would give me. About the whole back end is broken. Would like some help identifying it and the potential weight but can't seem to be able to download it. Can anyone help me?

post-280-0-08191200-1392354788_thumb.jpg

Can't tell much from the photo except that it's not a cast-iron waste of metal.  The face is nice and flat, the horn looks almost new.  If he's going to give it to you, great.  If he's going to sell it to you, I wouldn't go over a buck or so per pound.  

You don't need the hardy hole or pritchel hole if you have a vise.  99% of my forging never uses either of them, though I'll admit they can be handy for that odd 1%.

Definitely a decent working size with plenty of life left in her.

Thanks. He said, and with the yardstick in the background, that its approximately 12" tall and broken heel to tip of horn was 24". I don't know how wide. Any guesses on weight?

Also said it was at least 40-50 years old best he could recollect.

Welcome aboard Bear guy, glad to have you. Free for the gas and you're not posting from the road? If not, get thy hiney moving! That old lady will do you good service and make you enough to buy one in less distress. A smooth boulder will serve as an anvil and make you the money to buy tools and equipment. That one's a winner. You betcha. Now go get it or we'll tell mocking and disparaging jokes about you! (well, not really but we WILL give you crap)

Frosty The Lucky.

I can read a 1 and a 9 on the front,cant read the middle number it will be 0,1,2 or 3

My guess its an 0 so that's 121# (minus the tail) changed my mind perhaps its a 1, so 149# ?

The back edge and corner looks nice and straight. Perfect anvil for a left hander. It is a keeper, if your nice they might find you some more stuff!

Well after a miscue on the time to meet and 400 miles I'm officially the owner of anvil above. A little ugly (kinda like a 3 legged dog but you still love it). Still has plenty left to bang on. I want to thank all who responded and helped with greetings, identifying and encouragement that it was a worthwhile venture. Also for the help with the post and getting the picture attached. I look forward to being a site member for a long time. Thanks again.

Congrats! Now that it has a home, we probably need some juicy titbits to finish the story.

Whats the lettering on the front? Is it a william foster? How wide is the plate? Stamped weight vs actual weight? Are you thinking about a stand? Is there a crack on the tail or is it a trick of the light in the photo? why are my dogs happy this morning? Is there really a man on the moon? ;) Is denim retro or strictly workwear? :blink: should I drink less coffee? :P