I Forge Iron

Help identifying an anvil

More than likely a Trenton that broke at the waist weld and was "repaired".  I wouldn't buy it without being able to inspect in person and test for rebound and ring.

Definitely wouldn't pay much for it, even though the edges and such look really good.  The lack of mass won't hurt you (it's still heavier than anvils used in the middle ages) but you will have to spend time getting rid of that awful base.

If it is a quality anvil, either a broken trenton or a cast steel of some kind, it wouldn't be a bad investment if the price is right.  The part that you want (the top half) is there, it's just a matter of fixing it so it's more user-friendly.

can anyone tell me what this is?

It looks in pretty good condition, painted. The pointy end is the horn, the other end is the heal or butt.

It looks like an anvil to me.

An anvil can be any shape, even a rock is an anvil. It looks not as round as a rock though.. :) :)

Vulcan: the trademark mark is raised (so cast), and in an oval and the step between horn and face is very shallow and Vulcans were commonly used in schools in the USA...

I consider them on the lowest tier of real anvils but still a heck of a lot better than an ASO!  They are also quiet anvils---no ring.