I Forge Iron

Putting a Coal Forge in Standby Mode

Eddie Mullins

I accidentally discovered something this weekend I think will be quite handy. This may be old news to most, but thought I would share.

I was forging and decided to break for lunch. I like to have a supply of coke to restart my forge with so as a litttle experiment I decided to try something to make sure I would have some ready to go after I ate. I mounded up a little green coal, then set my coal scoop over the top and raked more coal around the side kind of sealing it off. My thought was that it may smolder just enough to leave me a supply of coke to easily get going again.

Well when I returned about 90 minutes later, I moved my scoop and discovered there were still hot coals there. I was suprised as the fire normally burns itself out in just a few minutes. A little air from the blower and I had a fire going again in seconds. It was like I just put it on standby mode and then turned it back on again. I repeated the same thing at dinner, worked like a charm.

I'm still not real clear on why it works, but only having to light the forge and deal with that initial smoke cloud from the green coal once per day will be great.

Anyone else do this?

I have a brake drum forge with a fan and blast gate.  For a long break like lunch (if I can pull myself away that long...) I just pile up some coal, turn off the fan, and open the gate all the way.  There is just a trickle of air pulled in by convection that leaves a slightly glowing fire but doesn't burn up hardly any coal.

I believe that process used to be called "banking the fire". An experienced gent once told me that they would bank the fires to save time and coal. Secure the blower and the air gate and pile the green coal over the existing fire.  Works good for the dinner break.

Peter

Hey Frank:  I remember when I took your classes we would bank the fire and just put a stick in the ash dump to allow a little air movement. When we came back from lunch all we had to do is start turning the blower.  Of course, I was never gone to long as I always wanted to get back and start forging.  

I have shut down a loaded wood stove and returned 3 days later to still hot coals.

"Banking the fire" at the forge can give you several minutes to hours of live and hot coals with just a little air added. 

Never leave a fire unattended.

A gust of wind can restart a fire the same as your blower. The second gust can blow live embers out of the fire pot and into combustible materials starting a fire large enough they need the big red trucks with the water and hoses..

I banked my fire to have a good mound of coke at the end of a forging session. Had done it many times before. It was still at forging temp 24 hours later and had to be extinguished with water. Never thought it would go for so long.
~The Mad Rabbit

Banking the fire - I thought this was probably a common practice for those in the know.

My forge normally burns itself out pretty quickly, possibly becuase I have a rather small / shallow pot. I have had it go out while I was doing other things and wasn't ready for it to go out. I have to remember to kick the blower on every now and then, so still a little surprised by my success with this, but will just accept it and carry on.

Glenn I also agree safety must be considered. My forge is behind closed doors so no concern for wind gusts and with my fire pot covered I am comfortable with what I did, but I guess I shouldn't reccomend this to others as their situation may not be the same and there is always some risk involved. I don't know that I would do it with an open shop or forge outside that was exposed to the wind.

I just walk away from it. It keeps just fine for 3+ hrs by doing nothing to it. I use a good quality of soft coal.

Hit it with air blast and off it goes. No trick at all. No wood. No sealing it off. Obviously individual results vary, depending upon the design of said forge/fire pot etc. A smalll rivet forge/brake drum will only hold a fire for 1/2 hr or there abouts.

On another note; and this my have been asked by someone already here.......why would you have to start a fire with green coal? Do you throw out all your coke????