I Forge Iron

First blade from fluxless weld

gearhartironwerks

Frosty,

I use nat gas and a ribbon burner, although any burner will work as long as it gets to at least 2300-2350deg. The key to success is the soak time in a rich mixture of 10-15 mins at that temp, then lightly hammering the billet for 2 cycles before going at it. It's not as quick as flux, but infinitely more clean.

John

Thanks John. Long soak in a reducing atmosphere, light initial blows. That's about like I do it, well maybe I should soak it longer but I rarely weld anything like a billet.

I've been giving a ribbon burner some thought but I'm not sure how well it'll work naturally aspirated. What's worked for me so far is to make sure the unit gets larger as it proceeds so back pressure doesn't snuff it out, I just don't know how much to adjust for a ribbon.

I'm not a bladesmith guy but one of my buds gave me a bunch of 1.5" wide metal cutoff bandsaw blades and almost same width strapping so I find myself sorely tempted to do some playing with pattern welding. I just bought a can of Patterson #1 flux from the local welding supply and want to see if it'll make good forge welding flux. And last on the path of my seduction to the dark side is the 3" sq. flat dies I made for my 50lb Little Giant.

Some time back I asked the gang here if anyone had used the Patterson flux but seeing as I got plenty of recipes for home brew and names for known brands I assume here nobody has. If it's any good I'll let you guys know. Here at the Wasilla welding supply it's $23.64 per 16oz. can and shipping's taken care of. I checked the MSDS some time ago and it's anhydrous borax, boric acid and iron powder. About the same as most popular fluxes but maybe 1/3 the cost not counting shipping.

And there's another long Frosty ramble. G'night all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, as I told John when I met him at a BAM conference, "If you don't want to make a bunch of knives don't ever make the first one, and if you don't want to make a lot of Damascus don't ever make the first billet".

He has again proved my adage.

BTW, doesn't do nice work for a guy who said, "I don't make knives or Damascus.  I'm a blacksmith."

Frosty, as I told John when I met him at a BAM conference, "If you don't want to make a bunch of knives don't ever make the first one, and if you don't want to make a lot of Damascus don't ever make the first billet".

He has again proved my adage.

BTW, doesn't do nice work for a guy who said, "I don't make knives or Damascus.  I'm a blacksmith."

I appreciate the warning Wayne but I can quit, I can, I can stop any time I want to. Really, the dark side is calling and I only want to take a little peak. <grin>

I've wondered about the iron powder in fluxes and if it changes the appearance, Steve. If it does I have some bottles of powdered metals for torch, spray metallizing and think adding a little Stellite powder may camouflage the iron. Of course that's just idle speculation as I'm only going to try it once or maybe twice. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I gave upon flux.  MS Bob Kramer said it's a contaminant, and I believe it. Nothing worse than getting near the final grind than to find an inclusion. Kind of ruins your day, and vocabulary.

I would strongly suggest trying the dry welding. Your clothing bill will be less as well.

John

Wayne: Thanks for the words of wisdom Now can I have my life back?