I Forge Iron

Second (mini)Project Got Done

Gergely

Hi All,

Encouraged by the positive feedback received for my first project I share this one, too. Although negative critique is also welcomed.

First I need to clear that this is not a gate hook  :) but a short poker. The story behind it is that I took my son to his great-grandmother on Saturday and I noticed she uses a piece of bent wire as a poker for his little woodstove. I measured the device and as finally got my chance to sneak out to the shop for a short section, made this.

The biggest challange was the scroll which is my first one ever. Had to redo three times  :(.

Today on my way to work I took the item to the old lady and she was really happy with it. Yippii.

post-48601-0-85308000-1391413700_thumb.j

Excellent work.  For your first scroll, it's very nice.  Scrolls are always troublesome to make free-hand because you need to find that visual balance between negative and positive space.  However, you can take great pride in the fact that you used your skills to do a good deed for your grandmother.  I'm sure she's overjoyed with your thoughtfulness and the usefulness of the the poker.

Thank you VaughnT!

You're right, keeping the balance was the most difficult to do.

You think is it possible to make a scroll tool for tiny/tinier scrolls? I have a big one, maybe I could make somehow a small one copying the ratio. But how?

Gergely

Take a picture of it from straight on and print it out reduced. Or trace it onto paper and reduce with a photocopier.

There are some really detailed YouTube videos on designing scrolls by hand on paper but the creators name escapes me. Look up 'scroll jig' on here via google: "scroll jig site:IForgeIron.com" without the quotes.

Well done Gergely, on all counts. Best is making a tool for your Grandmother, she'll use it and think of you every time she does. There's nothing wrong with the scroll, so you had to redo it a few times, nothing special about that. We all get to redo and tweak things

Making a scroll jig isn't too hard, even small. I wish I had some how to pics, they aren't hard to make. I'm sure someone will post pics or a video link, lots of guys use scroll jigs.

Frosty The Lucky.