I Forge Iron

Colonial Farming Implements

Besides Blacksmithing, my other hobby is gardening. I love to take a seed and make it into food. (that being said, I only really have a small garden)

I have been pondering more and more how I can combine the two, other than the food from the garden powering my blacksmithing. So, I am interested: Is there a good resource on colonial/early American farming implements made from iron? I like the history and look of colonial America, and I have been trying to research this topic without a whole lot of success.

Is there a resource, or have any of you forged farming/gardening hand tools from past times?

Thanks,

Ridgewayforge

Gotcha! Thanks for the resources. I was looking into the Colonial Williamsburg website, but they don't seem to have any pictures of their displays online. I suppose I will soon have to traverse down there! I will also look into those books!

Anyone ever forge any gardening implements? I'll take all ideas, even more modern ones!

'Colonial Wrought Iron' by Plummer has a lot of interesting tools in it. Iron dibbers were popular, the long ones were used in pairs - one in each hand -while the man walked down the row. Other than that, what about onion rakes, hoes, spuds etc?

I am going to have a go at a regional monster version of the serfuette. It looks like a double pronged pick with a long skinny blade (like an axe) on the other end. My french is not good, the only thing i have heard it called is "the big one".

dibble sticks

fruit buckets

seed winnowing forks

measuring chains

daisy lifters

celery hooks

grafting knives

sickles and hedging tools

these are things I dont see a lot of at museums

There is was a lot of oddball tools made for specific crops or jobs that are just gone.

Gotcha! Thanks for the resources. I was looking into the Colonial Williamsburg website, but they don't seem to have any pictures of their displays online. I suppose I will soon have to traverse down there! I will also look into those books!

Anyone ever forge any gardening implements? I'll take all ideas, even more modern ones!

I made a hoe, shovel, and several other tools but they were for movie series set in the 1st century A.D. They had hired a Jewish archeologist to insure everything was period accurate. Long story short, all of the tools I made are now in a museum in Israel on display....and no, dummy me, I have no pictures.  Oh well...

Check "THE KENNETH LYNCH TOOL COLLECTION CATALOG" available through the link below;

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_P1cjplazYgVGFRWEZYa3RRQmc/edit?usp=sharing

There are quite a few gardening implements shown along with (very) brief descriptions on their use.

An extensive catalog of tools used by many trades - a good resource to help identify that unusual find.

Don

Don Shears! Thank you so much: you posted top quality material.

It's one thing that it is good and useful to read, but it solved right away a mystery about a hammerhead discussed here:

In the Catalog it is said to be a knapping hammer (p. 10 KL144m). 

Thanks and greetings

Gergely

• 1 month later...