I Forge Iron

Charging for drawings

I've read through some old threads but couldn't find an answer to this...

Is it common to charge for drawings? I mean invoicing separately for drawings/designs, I don't mean by factoring the time you spend drawing/designing into the overall quote.

I'm not talking about back of a cigarette packet drawings, I'm talking about detailed 3D drawings.

Yes. Beware I have had people take my drawings and use them for others to bid against me.  its their print, as long as they paid me for them do what they wish. even if I dont get the job, I still get paid for the research and drawing. much of which I would have had to do to bid anyway.

Yes charge for your drawings. If they bock about it you tell them when they purchase the job the drawing price is included. This helps to keep them from going to someone else for estimates with your drawings. If you feel people may do this anyway and it's a design you'd really like to keep in house, you can copyright the drawings. With the copyright it should state something about not to be used for manufacture by others. Check the legalities on line under copyright law.

The devil is in the details.  What is a short distance to drive before you start charging for the drive?  What do you charge per mile? And, what do you charge for the drawing/design?  Is it for the design or computer time for the 3D drawing?  If someone is willing to pay for the drawing, it should be detailed so they don't feel like they are getting taken advantage of. How detailed is the design they will keep?   Sorry for all the questions, but I have never charged for a drawing/design yet.  

Greetings Joel.. All,

I am retired from my blacksmith / metal art business but I will share the way I did business..   First I would establish a general budget for the project..  Then I would ask for a small refundable retainer to start....  I would go to the home or business and take pictures of the project..for Rails , Wine gates.. gates.. ect ect..  I would than draw on my pictures the intended iron work.. Not complete detailed drawings.. or cut list..  Than I would meet with the customer and make whatever changes or additions that they required..  What my system did is show the customer exactly what it would look like in there home.  It worked well for me ..  Most people can not visualize what the final work would look like..  Final design and drawings would be added to  the completed project price and never left the shop. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I wish I could draw well enough to get paid for it. I would have drawn for a living instead of weld. :P However, I just do sketches that I use as tools; much like a blueprint. I don't charge extra for the use of tools because I don't throw the tools in with the job. Nor do throw in the sketches or BPs that I could use again on the next similar job...

• 4 weeks later...

after talking w/ the client and coming up with a design concept, I do a full set of drawings. I make sure they know there is a % of bid cost for these. next we modify or confirm the drawings.

then I do a sample piece and its done as a % of the job.

now they have a concrete idea of what they are getting.

at the beginning I make sure they understand that if they approve a step, the cost goes to the next phase. meaning if they accept the drawings, the cost is included in the sample costs and so on.

when we finalize the job I ask for either 1/4 or 1/3 down depending on length of job, and. agreement on advances as I progress.

I make sure from the get go that no matter what, the drawings and samples are mine. they are paying for my time, not product during the design phase.

I too had a set of drawings of mine given to another smith. he knew me and contacted me for permission to use my drawings as the basic idea for his bid. lol, he said he was unable to match my concept. I felt flattered, and gave my permission.