I Forge Iron

I Need Help with some Insight

I am Starting BlackingSmithing and My Friend has just been engaged so

Any Ideas Something i could make as a beginner that would be good to give at a wedding

And Which Tools should i have the IronDwarf i think he is called contacted me and he is helping but Any Clues and Ideas Because i want others Ideas and insight into this could someone please Help

Anyone who replies thankyou and have a good day or night

Ball and chain comes to mind, or  maybe a pair of shackles. LOL :lol:

All sorts of things, Pot rack, coat rack, towel bars, candle holders, fire place tools.

A lot depends on what you want to make and what your skill set is. I made my cousin an iron legged coffee table and pair of end tables for his wedding. I'd helped him weld up and make a similar coffee table for his mom with a tiled top to show off some special painted tiles she brought back from Europe. He really loved that one so I figured  making him one would be a nice personal touch. For that I used mostly off the shelf fence/gate parts and welded it up, but now I could probably come up with a simple forged design if I wanted to.

post-25608-0-25265700-1388873862_thumb.j

post-25608-0-60527300-1388873989_thumb.j

post-25608-0-95323700-1388873992_thumb.j

I am not trying to sound like the “Old Grinch”, but I see a concern here.

From your other post on another thread that you started, you did not sound like you had any experience with blacksmithing.

I suggest that you FIRST learn the basics of forging.  

After you have put out the effort to learn the basics, you will then know what skills you have, and recognize what you are capable of forging for your friend’s wedding; that is if it is not to close in the future.

There is an “order of operation” used when forging.  

Otherwise; First things First, that sets you up the next step.

Well intentions of getting your friend’s wedding present will not justify or thrust you past the obligation to take the time, effort, and cost to learn the basics.

I must sound insensitive to you.  But it would be more insensitive to you to go along with the concept of “not having to learn the basics first”. 

Safety is a part of learning this craft also.

It is very hard to see through a wooden eye.  Without proper instruction, that could be a very realistic result of not knowing what you are doing.

I strongly suggest that you slow down and learn what you are doing first, then make and give something nice to your friend.  

Happy New Year,

Ted is correct!!! Get a copy of "the Blacksmithing Primer" and work your way through it. To get to first base, you can run 3rd - 2nd -1st, Then get to do it all over again. OR   Find out some basic rules and run to first, first.

Glenn has a good idea with a dinner triangle. Make each leg 1" different length, it will give you three tones.

Neil

I have sent several messages and emails to try to explain that you cannot just become an experienced smith in a couple of days and have suggested he has a go to see if it suits him by making something simple like one of the very crude and simple bottle openers I have done but in these days of instant gratification few have the patience to learn a skill and he wants to make a knife and swords.

I am no expert and will never be as good as a lot of those here but I can make a few little things and im learning all the time.

I might make a few triangles later this week for events later this year :)

Mr. Toby, an Act of Good Faith on your part might go a long way. Why not reply in this thread to the questions our esteemed colleagues have already asked you:

We might assume that you are in England, but honor Mr. Powers request and list your general location in your profile.

Mr. Ted T. Thought it might be helpful if you told us your if you are over 16 years of age. Well?

As Mr. Einhorn said: "To start blacksmithing all you need is a heat source, a hammer, a block of steel, and pliers or tongs".

Tell us now what tools you have right now? Have you Struck Hot Iron??

I don't know Mr. Iron Dwarf Personally, but I'll bet that if you do what he asks, you can't go wrong.

Everyone on this thread wants you to learn as quickly and safely as possible.  There are no shortcuts.

So Mr. Toby,  Please take the time to be fair and respectful and respond to the very reasonable questions and recommendations above,

You have picked the Right Forum, Stick with it.

Robert Taylor

I know where toby is but will leave that to him to decide to post that, needless to say he is in the same country as me.

a few more questions Toby, and the answers may help us help you.

what tools do you have access to and are competent to use?

do you have a suitable workshop space?

what skills do you have already? 

any friends or relatives that can help you with this?

Toby - assuming that is your name - if you don't become a bit more communicative you run the risk of people thinking that you might be a bit of a troll.

As you can see from my details, I'm in Hertfordshire, if you are local you are welcome to some help and advice, but everything the other chaps have written is right; you need to respond to responses and you shouldn't expect to do too much too soon.