I Forge Iron

Pricing: 90# William Foster 1835

Here's another cheap/broke newbie trying to figure out if he should throw down $250 for this.  I am very new to blacksmithing but am quickly learning that it sure is nice to use the right tool for the right job; so I'm itching for a "real" anvil.  Anywho, could anybody comment on this anvil off craigslist?  It looks halfway decent, owner said there were not any noticeable cracks and had good 'ping'.  Not sure about rebound.  I've only been looking in the market for several weeks, so I'm not really sure how much or how cheap I should be looking for.  He's also about 2 hours away so it's helpful to know how close to the ball park he is.  FYI currently I am using a 60ish pound saw doctors anvil a friend is letting me hit on, (little scared I might should not), or a railroad tie, or a 3/4' steel plate (which by the way I will continue to be thankful for...so I'm not that picky either).  Thankyou for any input!

post-49491-0-23211300-1386795369_thumb.j

post-49491-0-79611700-1386795424_thumb.j

Greetings Tiefer,

It would help if you completed your location on your personal data..   In my opinion for 250 that's not much of an anvil..  If I were you I would keep my money and save up another 100 and buy a good anvil..  If you are new to blacksmithing you will soon learn the advantages of sharper clean edges and surfaces. I don't mean to rain on your parade but that's my 2c. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I think the date is driving the price on that one; in most places in the USA that is not a "close to $3 a pound" anvil.  Personally I wouldn't pay $2 a pound for it.  Hunt for an undated anvil at a more reasonable price. 

*EXCEPT* if you are in a fur trade reenactment group where being able to prove the date on your anvil would get you bragging rights for authenticity, (even then I'd try to get the price down or more stuff thrown in for boot).

(go not to the elves for advice for they shall say both yea and nay!")

Note: don't forge hot steel on a railroad tie, the cresote fumes are toxic!

Thanks Jim, will do on the personal. I appreciate the 2 cents- from what I've seen so far that was my gut responce but needed to hear some feedback. I definetly thought that about the edges to. I'm itchin to find one but want a decent one to.

Thanks Thomas, good thoughts-no fur trader here. Oh yeah- I meant track-not tie.

I just sold a 100# peter wright in A LOT better condition than that for the same price that guy is asking. I have a William foster and I love it, unless I run across a unique pattern anvil (or get the guy who is using the mint condition huge fisher down the road from me for yard art to come off it) it will probably be my main work anvil the rest of my life, so this anvil your asking about at least has that going for it. I would throw the guy an offer well under what he is asking and leave a phone number, he probably won't take your offer right off the bat but he may decide a few weeks down the road when the anvil still has not sold that if he wants to move it he better start making deals.

I have been to asheville before and I am remembering an abundance of really good antique shops all over, especially down by the train yard (not sure which side of the city geographically but "meadow road" comes to mind). While I was there I stopped in "The Tobacco Barn" and a few others down that way and spotted a couple Peter Wrights and a Mousehole after checking just a couple shops. That area was, at least when I was passing through, pretty anvil rich. Like I said though, that was then (2 years ago) and this is now so who nows what luck you may have. Check out those shops if you haven't already, a lot of the vendors will haggle price (not all will take kindly to it though). The anvils I spotted were in very acceptable shape.  Good luck with the search!

-Crazy Ivan

There are a couple of other anvil dealers with regular ads on Charlotte CL, one is in Denver, NC west of lake Norman, one is in Pageland, SC. Both buy and sell anvils and blacksmith tools for a living, so ask a fair market price for everything. No steals and deals, but you may be able to haggle a little. There is usually a wide selection, especially in Pageland.

• 2 weeks later...