I Forge Iron

New here

Makoz

G'day,
Thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking too many questions!:rolleyes: I look forward to being part of the forum, and learning some more from you guys.
I live in the country near Toowoomba in Australia. I dabble a bit in blacksmithing, after doing a 6 weekend course at a local carriage museum, about 15yrs ago. Mostly I work in wood, but also aluminium and a bit of stainless, with blacksmithing mostly for tools.
I'm right into recycling stuff, very rarely buy anything new, and my anvil is circa 1942, ex Dept of Defence. My current forge is pretty much "homebrew", I think you guys in the states would call it:D, and haven't managed anything better than compressed air to run it, using charcoal, coal or coke. I started making a rotary blower, but you know how it is sometimes...
I had my first go on a bellows-fired forge on the weekend, at a local annual blacksmiths meet, actually got right into it! It was an old double chambered one, over a hundred years old, the usual shape, but the guy who owns it reckons a circular one would be better to make from scratch. So my first question, has anyone seen or used a circular (lantern?) bellows? Even better, made one?!
Here's a shot of some tools I made a while back, all useable, but some more so than others.

Regards,
Makoz

3381.attach

A pleasure to use.
Some years ago I inherited a portable forge that sits on top of circular bellows, hand cranked with a lever from the side (just uses a pulling/pumping action), there are two cast wheels at the back, and two legs at the front
On a level with the forge hearth are two hinged handles with removable pins to lock them in place and to allow the forge to be wheeled to be used wherever needed.
The bellows I believe originally came from Berry Pomeroy Castle Garrison (South Devon) and were used in medieval times in the battlefield situation.

Using coal it easily attains welding heat, and is very economical in use.

Hi there,
Again, thanks for welcome, and the replies.

G'Day Makoz,
nice ta see another AUSSIE online

" So my first question, has anyone seen or used a circular (lantern?) bellows? Even better, made one?! "

Seen 1 , been tryin' ta figgure out ow ta make a set meself ......

Hi Dale,
Shame you live way down in Mexico, but if you're ever up this way in sunny Queensland, look us up!:D
I will be giving the bellows a go, so I'll try to post a WIP.

Dale Russell

never ceases to amaze me what one can find on this site.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/bellows-blacksmiths-identification-restoration-3501/#post27076

and welcome to iforgeiron.

Thanks Dale,
I did try a quick search, but missed that one, so thanks for drawing it to my attention. Shame the pics too small for a detailed look.

A pleasure to use.
Some years ago I inherited a portable forge that sits on top of circular bellows, hand cranked with a lever from the side (just uses a pulling/pumping action), there are two cast wheels at the back, and two legs at the front
On a level with the forge hearth are two hinged handles with removable pins to lock them in place and to allow the forge to be wheeled to be used wherever needed.
The bellows I believe originally came from Berry Pomeroy Castle Garrison (South Devon) and were used in medieval times in the battlefield situation.

Using coal it easily attains welding heat, and is very economical in use.

Interesting to hear John, so its an old design...by the sound of that setup the air outlet of the bellows is straight up and into the fire pot! What about ash and such falling down through the tuyere into the bellows? Any pics?

Cheers,
Makoz

Makoz,
I included the circular bellows photos twice, one at origin size and one enlarged. Click on the right hand thumbnail to see the enlarged version.

By clicking on the thumbnails at the bottom of the post, you get a much larger version of the same image. The thumbnails (and click to enlarge) are used for the folks with slow modems. This way they do not have to wait for large images to load each time they view the topic.

Makoz,

" Hi Dale,
Shame you live way down in Mexico, but if you're ever up this way in sunny Queensland, look us up! "

Beautiful 1 day , perfect the next ... I'd move ta Queensland in a flash bloke , only it's full of youse banana benders .... LOL

Dale Russell

p.s , for those who don't live in our lovely country baggin' each others states is classed as a national sport ( next ta AUSSIE Rules , cricket & rugby ) here so don't think i's was pickin' on him