I Forge Iron

What is it?

if I stumbled across that in my office (civil engineering) I would say its a manhole cover pick, get the hooked end into one of the little holes of a manhole cover, lift up a bit and drag it off to the side to open up the shaft.  that shape could be used in an awful lot of different applications though, so im sure there are other possibilities.  what kind of work did your friends dad do?

Insurance! Lol

Well there you go! It was to insure he could get a manhole open.

You see similar tools pretty frequently, lots of lid lifters, pallet grabbers and thingamagiggy pullers, look just like that, sort of.

Frosty The Lucky.

You know when you get your house apraised for insurance coverage or when you get ready to sell the house and the insurance company sends someone our to evaulate your house? I believe the object in question is a rod to pull down the latter for the attic.

other guesses would be:
A disguised golf club
A conversation starter
An item to push up lowerd celing tiles to get at what ever is hiden like office golf clubs or banned snackfoods, etc.

Hex stock, of that sort, ... roughly 1/2" across the flats, ... is commonly used as the "shaft" in roller conveyor systems.

When those rollers get damaged, the hex shaft is easily salvaged, and is very useful for all manner of "shop made" items.

The point being, ... that the hex shape might not be important to it's intended use, ... and was just something that was "laying around" the shop, when a piece of bar stock was needed.

For what it's worth ........