I Forge Iron

Bouncy castle blowers

Joel OF

I've heard a couple times that bouncy castle blowers work as forge blowers and I think that I even saw a pro using one, but if I remember correctly that was just on a smaller demo forge.

The ones I mean are the cheap £40-ish yellow plastic looking ones on eBay. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

Its the name of the type of blower here in the USA. As for what it resembles is a hamster wheel with smaller spaces and "blades" to catch the air and move it within a confined space out a tube.

I've never used a big a blower as the "inflate machine" should be interesting how much air it moves.

Anybody in your neck of the woods used natural gas forced air furnaces?  Over here many of the high efficiency ones use a blower for exhaust.  When they get junked it's usually not the blower that was bad and you can get a used one from a HVAC company's bone pile if you are persuasive...

The bounce castle blowers put out a lot of pressure and CFM - more than any common sized forge would need - so they simply need to be choked, either at the inlet or with a slide gate ahead of the fire.  On the plus side, they are cheap and can often be found used for $20-$30 (at least around here).  At that price, you can buy a few and replace them when they die.  I have two spares in the shop for just such an occasion.