I Forge Iron

Does it have some give in the system like a powerhammer and not none like a punch press?

What is the throw?  How will you adjust it for the changing size of the material?

If you put bigger dies on are you not risking the structure breaking due to greater stresses than it was engineered for?

My take is *BAD* *IDEA*!

Greetings and welcome Newbie,

Power hammer not so much...  All it would do is make noise....  Like all my thoughts on old stuff they do have a place...  Most of the mechanicals could be removed and keep the slick arm ( orange ) for a shelf..   I have enclosed a picture of a post vise stand made from a drill press base .  I think you could do the same with some modifications...  I would keep the mechanicals and shaft and the motor for future projects....   I love old stuff that can be made functional..  Good luck...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-35605400-1384382677_thumb.j

I converted a similar design into a phlanishing hammer, I use a rubber brick on the bottom anvil and i custom made the top anvils with interchangeable ends with different diameters and it works pretty well. The bricks are sold as a swimming and diving brick. It is solid enough that the bulk of the energy is transferred to the work, but yet soft enough that it becomes a built in safety.

Greetings and welcome Newbie,

Power hammer not so much...  All it would do is make noise....  Like all my thoughts on old stuff they do have a place...  Most of the mechanicals could be removed and keep the slick arm ( orange ) for a shelf..   I have enclosed a picture of a post vise stand made from a drill press base .  I think you could do the same with some modifications...  I would keep the mechanicals and shaft and the motor for future projects....   I love old stuff that can be made functional..  Good luck...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

attachicon.gifnew vise.jpg

I like that post vice stand!!! I might have to make one of those myself.

I had to laugh at myself when I read the title to this thread. I'm 66 yo, been running rivits a long time--- he wants to convert me to what? lol

I had to check this thread, just to be sure it was not a religious posting that needed to be relocated to the prayer list  ;)