I Forge Iron

Price tag for an used 286 pound (130 kg) anvil

So, I found an alright looking anvil for sale, I can't see a producer name, year or weight, i was hoping anyone could pitch in an idea for a price, the seller is asking for 1.000 dollars, i find it rather expensive seeing how i can get a new 200 pound high quality anvil for 730 dollars, can anyone tell me what's a reasonable price for this?post-29278-0-89092300-1383857723_thumb.j 

What is the 200# high quality anvil you can get for $730?

Looking at your location of Iceland, I have no idea  knowing if anvils are a commong thing to come up for sale.

It could be that they are extremely hard to find, especially in decent shape, so the price may be worth it to someone who has been looking for a long time with no luck.

286# anvils don't pop up everyday, especially in your backyard.  You can find them on Ebay, but you're going to pay several hundrend in shipping fees as well.

On the other hand, around here that anvil would probably sit quite a while at that price.

Can you get any better pictures of the anvil?  Like some close-ups of the side?

well, i can't find a picture of the 200# anvil, but now that i think about it, it was not 200# but something less, and it was rather strange looking one, im not entirely sure how to describe it and i can't find any pics of it, im thinking about taking it for $950, seeing the slight dimples and deformed edges, thanks though for your input

Cash talks, especially a pile of $100 bills.

You can always offer less and see if the seller bites.

How many anvils come up for sale in Iceland?  How long have you been looking?

well, I've been looking for many months now, the few ones that are for sale usually don't last long seeing how the national blacksmiths association seem to be attracted to them and buy them instantly, the problem is though, it's an hours drive away from here and seeing how i don't even have a driving licence, that might be a bit of an issue, but after a while of thinking, I've decided to try to purchase it, it all depends on the mood of my parents tomorrow wether i get it, unfortunately

Greetings Dabb,

Judging by the newspaper size and the sized of the hardie hole I'll bet that is a 220 plus Peter Wright...  The fact that it is painted blue means that someone just used it for a decoration..   The paint is still on the important parts....   If I were you I would give mom a kiss ,  do something nice for dad and go for it..  As Frog says many times when you get there If you explain to the seller that you are just starting out you might get a price adjustment...  Take cash...   The shipping for that anvil from here would be 300 alone..   I wish you well..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Paint can hide a lot of flaws, but the condition of the horn is generally a good indicator of what the face-plate my be like.  That the horn is as close to mint as you could ask for says a lot.

Basically, I'm wagering that that anvil is almost new, or at least hasn't seen any serious abuse that I'd be worried about. 

Is it worth the money?  Well, around these parts, I would gladly spend $3/lb for an anvil in that condition.  A brand-new anvil would cost $5 or $6 per pound, so anything less than that is a win for me.  The size is right and the condition is wonderful.  I honestly don't think you could go wrong with the purchase.  

Judging by the flats on the feet of the anvil I'd say it's  Peter Wright and a nice one at that. Here in Colorado I've seen folks ask $750 for a 'nice' 250lb PW on CL so the asking price of $1000 isn't all that out of line.....Cash talks, wave a little less under his nose........ B)

im currently negotiating with my parents and my friend about money and permission for the anvil, currently my mother is completely against it, according to her those things only belong in workshops and things like that, but i haven't talked to my father about it yet, i think he might have a different view, i might also be able to get my brother on my side.

and if i don't manage to get the money, i can probably make some in the demo that's on saturday, anyways, i'll keep this forum informed on my anvil adventures

Start getting quotes from engineers talking about how blacksmithing improved their university and job prospects.

I know of at least 1 metallurgist on this board whose blacksmithing was a major factor in getting his job with a large company.

(and his parents were worried that I was going to get him to drop out of university and become a knifemaker----HA!  I was pushing him to stay in, graduate and let a nice large company pay for all his pretty smithing toys and provide health benefits while he does smithing on the side.)

Sounds about right on the price, maybe a tad high but then again area. There is a PW out here at 310pounds going for $1000. Its been listed for a while. If I had the money would probably take it but no cash right now plus I dont really need it. Just would be nice to have one that is 100lbs bigger then the biggest one I have. 

that anvil (and anvils in general) is gratis - you buy it now, use it whole of your life, then you can still sell it at the same price :)

even if you don't sell it, it's a good investment, by far cheaper than bread or toilet paper. just divide it's price to the number of days that it could "live", which could be several hundreds of years, and compare to the price daily spent on bread, toilet paper, etc. :)

and an anvil could produce money in short time, almost instantly. if you only charge 100$ a knife, you can very soon reach the price of the anvil.

and speaking of space - I was working on 2 anvils in a 12m2 that my workshop had at that time

although that is all good and true, I've found a new #77 kanca anvil, I've heard good things about those and suppose that one would suit my needs better, along with a home made stake anvil for finishing up sockets and tight scrolls.

After welding a hardox plate on my ASO it's ringing horribly, that doesn't bother me because i listen to music and wear ear protection while I'm forging but I'm more worried about my sister and brother in law being pissed off at the ringing, it is quite bothersome.

If anyone has recommendations and just any knowledge about kanca anvils, that's greatly appreciated

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Kanca anvils are supposedly good stuff.  C45 steel, drop-forged with the face induction hardened.

Is a 77lb anvil good for your shop?  Sure.  You can do a lot of stuff on a light anvil, especially if you're just starting out in smithing.  The key is to FIRMLY attach the anvil to a heavy stump so that there is no movement or wiggle.  NO movement at all.

By setting the anvil on a bed of silicone caulk, you form a gasket of sorts that almost completely eliminates any ringing.  This is a real benefit to the smith and the neighbors!

But I would still recommend that you consider the larger anvil if you can swing it.  They don't come along every day, but they do help in a shop.  If you quit the hobby in a year, you can easily sell your anvil for near what you paid for it, if not more.  As has been pointed out, anvil's don't depreciate in value unless you mangle them something awful!

• 5 months later...

Allright, time to revive this old post

So, recently an ad surfaced on the same site i saw that one for a 50 kg/112 lb, so of course I talked to the seller, got him to send a picture of the anvil he was selling, turns out, it was the same picture, quite confused I decided to take a look at it seeing how I was passing by that place the next day, I had a really close look at it and turns out it is a söderfors (someone call frosty, I've heard he knows a lot about them)

he offered the same price, $3,7 per pound, 444$ total, (did I do the math right?) 

now me, having read quite a few posts on these anvils said to the man "give me two minutes to run to the ATM and get the money, Im buying that beauty"

after closer inspections and more removal of paint with a wire cup on a drill, reveals that it's from 1922, 92 years old, 

Im still in the progress of cleaning the paint off and making a nice stand for it

this is an anvil that im expecting to last me and hopefully the next gen. of smith for a lifetime, only problem I have with it is the two dents on the face, not deep but still, dents, I can get it milled down, any reason I shouldn't?

Im guessing it previously belonged to a farrier and used the sides to knock out the nails of used horseshoes, due to the dents on the sides

more information on the anvil can be found in the gallery, due to lack of knowledge on how to post pictures in comments