I Forge Iron

Taos Pueblo bread loaves

Frank Turley

There is an anthropological term for art that is intended to last a short while: "ephemeral art." Such are the bread loaves produced by native women at Taos Pueblo, New Mexico. Each woman has her own style of decorating the tops of the loaves. The bread is baked in hornos, outdoor, dome topped ovens made of adobe. post-74-0-19056900-1383676065_thumb.jpg

Other ephemeral art might be ritual items or gifts such as Halloween pumpkins or floral bouquets.

frank! wonderful! i love this kind of art, and indulge in it all the time, i compulsively make and decorate bread :) particularly the magical and fantastic wild sourdough. there is few finer occupations in this life! mine are not made in adobe ovens, but the next best thing, on a wood fired range in my kitchen. thankyou for that beautiful picture, i believe everyone could benefit from this simple nourishing creative outlet! :) i bet you make bread yourself.... :)

Greetings Frank,

THAT'S IT...  I officially hungry now....  I walked in the house after putting up a cord of wood and clicked into  IFI.... yep those are great...   Thanx for sharing well the pictures at least..   Looks like a fun thing to do..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I have visited the area and was shocked at the cultural bias toward art there... not just in food either.  One of my fondest memories of the trip was a trip into the mountains above Taos searching for small stream trout fishing.  I found myself in a tiny ridgetop town that had about twenty homes, a single bar and at least FIVE art galleries!  My kinda country!  

I also especially remember a small roadside shop that sold aromatherapy products, singing bowls and shampoos and such.  It had a marsh painted on it's floor and walls and the shelves were designed with tiered curves to look like waterfalls with the custom made bottles of product all displayed in waterfall pattern textured and wavy bottles so that the products mimicked the look of water falling across the shelves!  The whole effect was absolutely STUNNING!  

When we parked in Taos we went in for a quick bite at a local eatery that advertised FREE root beer!  The root beer turned out to be homemade and EXQUISITE!  They also made their own salsa and several types of beer!  What a region!

Bread, mmmmmmmmmm. When I was a field guy I'd make up a batch of dough and we'd open a canned ham, cut long pieces of ham, give it a quick roast over the fire, wrap it in dough, then bake it. Mmmmmm. Dessert would often be cinnimon sugar rolled in dough and baked over the fire, of course a guy could roll or smear anything on it. Or just pat little flatish loaves, wipe with some oil and whatever and bake on a hot rock by the fire, Roman stye.

The biggest thing I miss from my cabin in the woods days up here is the wood cook stove, they bake like nothing else.

Frosty The Lucky.