I Forge Iron

Where to find a handcrank blower

Bmt1234

So I have been looking high and low for a handcrank blower. The ones on eBay are a little pricey and I don't want to buy anything I can't see in person. I found some on Craigslist but they where four hours away and that's a little far. So what I am asking is where else can I find a hand crank.

If it helps any I live in Raleigh NC

I'm a bit of a piece from you, or I'd sell you mine.  

Trying to find one locally means just having to wait and watch.  I use searchtempest.com to canvas all of CL and ebay in one fell swoop, but even that doesn't speed the process up!  It's just a matter waiting until a deal shows up.

Flea markets and farmer's markets are always a good source.  If you see any steam/antique tractor/farm shows at the fair grounds around, check them out.  They might not have one laying around, but someone will know where to find one.

I think I see one of your problems already---only considering people selling tools.  I bought my mint condition 515# Fisher anvil through a guy selling greasy car parts at the fleamarket--he "howdy'd me and so I gave him a spiel about hunting for a large anvil---turns out his uncle had one and wanted to sell it---$350 and that was a steal even back in the 1990's!

Folks selling tools and smithing stuff often want top dollar for their items---go find the "hidden" ones and buy the cheap ones!

The State Fair is going on this week in Raleigh, and NC-ABANA members are staffing the forge: GO! (And if the honey cotton candy vendor is back this year, try it. It is amazing!)

You will see some talented smiths at work in a teaching forge, see a wide range of items on display for sale, and somebody will be able to give you a lead on local sales and meetings, if they don't have already have a spare one in the trunk.

Failing that, Centaur Forge blacksmith supply house catalog now carries NEW hand crank blowers. 

I stumbled onto one recently while talking with two guys in a small engine repair shop.  I had worked with them a few years go and I was telling them I was building a new blacksmith shop.  One said he had a hand crank blower thingy in his basement was I interested.  Yup, nice 400, got it for a song didn't even have to dance.

You just never know where stuff shows up.  A friend was delivering lumber to another friend of mine and in conversation my name came up and my new shop, I ended up with a nice home made small forge with a very nice blower on it. 

Ask a friendly delivery guy to keep an eye out for you, I delivered fuel oil and gas way back and you got to see all the good stuff out behind peoples houses and garages.     

Thank you guys for all if the ideas. I just got to talking to a guy at a machine shop. No blower but still a really nice guy. As far as the blowers in Asheville a talked to them and most where sold and one was a little to far away but if I can't find one soon I might drive up there. The fair did just come to town so I am hoping to get over there on Sunday. Next time I go to the flea market I will try to chat with all of the tool vendors. Keep the great ideas coming.

If you can't get a good solid lead from the smiths at the fair, there's something seriously wrong!

If you decide that taking a trip to Asheville is needed, drop me a note.  If you're going that far, I'll sell you mine and meet you somewhere closer!

Well I finally made it out to the fair last night. It was great they had a whole shop dedicated to blacksmithing. I talked to every one in the shop and joined the local blacksmithing organization. Unfortunately they did not have any for sale but they did tell me of a couple of places that's have them every once in a while so I will check those.

• 7 months later...

I was at an auction yesterday (Monday) in Upper Sandusky Ohio where they advertised Blacksmith tools and items for sale. The hand cranked champion 400 (just the blower, no stand) went for $60, and the Buffalo blower with an attached motor and speed control (no stand) also went for $60. ( all the rest of the blacksmith stuff you needed a second mortgage to buy it !! ....nuts prices these days)  There is a new made blower, blue in color either from India or Pak-I-Stan being sold on Ebay for $99. That probably isn't bad for a brand new, unused blower. Of course, you'll need to figure out about making a blower stand for it to set on. That ups your price more.

Let me recommend you get onto a site called 'Auction Zip', where many auctioneers post things on their auctions. Put in some key words like Anvil, Blacksmith and Blower, tell the site you want every auction within 150 miles of your house selling those key word items.  You might get lucky and find an auction close to your back yard.............

Ohio Rusty

The Ohio Frontier Forge

S.E. Ohio