I Forge Iron

What do ya make from RR Spikes?

For me i always have a few laying around and toss them in whenever there's a lull or I am just messing around.  I almost always make the same form, a hook, but never really try to duplicate.  Just a fun little project journey I have been doing for years and every now and then something pleasing happens and I roll that way for awhile.  The photo is a few new ones from this spring.  Have fun with it.

This is a great philosophy to work by. Well put. There's a small pail of spikes under the forge that should see a little heat next time.

Welcome aboard H&I guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header we won't have to keep bugging you.

Nice knuckle dusters but getting caught in possession in Alaska is good for some gray bar hotel time. Probably not more than a night but the fine could be pretty hefty. Still, if a guy can make them decorative enough they can't be considered a weapon . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a pile of RR spikes I just got that Ive never seen before(and ive went through a lot of spikes) They came from the scrap yard..They are about 3" longer than a standard RR spike..Just like a normal spike but that much longer..Pretty cool.

i have a 5lb bucket of 9inch ones i picked up a while back they are perfect for drawing out into toasting forks and i really want to make one of those door knockers now i have a piece of light rail as well

i was asked to make a few bottle openers as well as a few other items for our libraries silent auction so out came the spikes

post-22808-0-44129700-1377569938_thumb.j

post-22808-0-09886800-1377569984_thumb.j

once more nothing fancy but people like them more than ones forged out of plain square stock

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!
As far as construction,I cut the back and the mounting tab on a beverly shear.I bent the tab into a "U" shape then welded it and the striker plate(where the spike head hits) from the back with plug welds.Not very rustic construction,but it made it a little cleaner looking.

Hmm...I just looked at the picture a little closer.This was made several years back. I must have welded on the front too,for the mounting tab.Then radiused the welds to hide my less than stellar welding. :rolleyes: