I Forge Iron

The power of IFI

Took my first beginners lesson with a member on this forum local to me. It was a great experience and an eye opening one. I don't have enough room in my shop for all the tools I'm going to need to acquire/make. I'm ok with this problem. Thank you again Dave and I hope to come out for another lesson soon.

You are certainly Andy!

Had I not had help from experienced knife makers and blacksmiths I would not be doing all the stuff in my shop today.

You are welcome back any time :)

And another thank you to the folks on this forum for the help I am still getting!

Dave

It is so good to hear this kind of story! I'm really glad you and Dave got together Andy, nothing beats swapping knowledge, techniques, tips and tricks with another smith in person. Heck, I just like being in the company of blacksmiths.

This is also a definitive example of why it's such a good idea to put a general location in the header. I'll bet if you guys didn't know you were within visiting distance you wouldn't have even thought but briefly about getting together.

I'll be getting together with one of the guys tomorrow to do a little smithing. Well, I'll be starting the day pre-heating an anvil and welding it up but once it's ground and cooling I'll be at the anvil.

Frosty The Lucky

It was a great experience and I'm already in contact with a couple other "local" blacksmiths from this sight. Now I just need practice time and to join NWBA. Longview is a bit of a drive for me, but I can kill two birds with one stone as my friends have a brewery down there and should be opening their tasting room in a couple of weeks.

Took my first beginners lesson with a member on this forum local to me. It was a great experience and an eye opening one. I don't have enough room in my shop for all the tools I'm going to need to acquire/make. I'm ok with this problem. Thank you again Dave and I hope to come out for another lesson soon.

Thors, if you're like me, I seem to spend more time making the tools to work with than the project!  One day for tools, then maybe 30 min. to an hour for the project...maybe; if I don't get sidetracked making more tools!!!!

Glad you got some OJT.  There's no substitute for hands-on learning.  You just can't get it all from youtube.

Thors, if you're like me, I seem to spend more time making the tools to work with than the project!  One day for tools, then maybe 30 min. to an hour for the project...maybe; if I don't get sidetracked making more tools!!!!

I thought this was pretty standard... :)

• 1 month later...