I Forge Iron

Cold chisel to the rescue

I got this job in with 2 bearing flanges welded to a length of pipe. The flanges have been damaged around the rolled edge and no longer hold a bearing firmly, so they need to be replaced.

I thought about the oxy, plasma cutter, thin cutoff wheel and the burr grinder but they all had their drawbacks in such a cramped space (not to mention all the grease and rust under the lip to deal with) so I tried a bit of lateral thinking.

I remember seeing a blacksmith drill then carve a square hole on a piece that couldn't be reforged. It stuck in my mind how quick he worked and how easy the metal peeled off.

Here is my attempt at a more basic technique.
I have left the original welded flange on the pipe and removed the old rolled edge with a cold chisel, this means that the new bottom flange will fit snug into the original and save me the work of cutting and re-welding..

First cut is to split the ring then using the corner of the chisel I have created an edge that will roll.
post-42888-0-16691200-1375255042_thumb.jpost-42888-0-10569000-1375255047_thumb.j
From there full face of the chisel and follow the curve of the pipe around.
post-42888-0-39897200-1375255032_thumb.jpost-42888-0-99813800-1375255034_thumb.j
Viola! About 4 minutes for the two flanges and the new ones bolt straight in. I know it doesn't look much but I reckon it has saved me about three hours work.

post-42888-0-68609900-1375255044_thumb.jpost-42888-0-97053000-1375255038_thumb.j

Wow, If I thought of that, it might have saved me time, money and headache,  looking for the right sized drill bit or proper grinding tool.  Simple, yet effective.  Genius!

So many of us are spoiled with the idea of proper tools and doing things the "right" way.  Just goes to show how far simple hand tools really do go.  After all, they built the pyramids and all...   I love my files, but some times I just want to throw them across the shop in an expletive filled rage, only to have them laugh at me after I realize I still have lots more metal to get rid off.  LoL.

Nice Work. :)

A lot of the factory made tools aren't ground or heat treated properly, I find them to be to soft, forged to fat, and improperly profiled.
Made right and the are a dream, I have knocked divots out of a truck radius arm bracket, I spent 30 minutes re forging, heat treating and sharpening a chisel. I still beat my buddy with an air hammer.

You have a good point Charles, most modern tools, chisels and such especially are not heat treated to optimim, too soft is designed in. sure, selling more chisels, etc. is a factor but the way most folk now use tools makes hard chisels a liability for the manufacturer. You can slap now hammers together face to face till the cows come home and not knock a chip off, they WILL dent though.

I can't really blame the manufacturers, it doesn't matter what kind of warning on a thing if someone does something stupid you're likely to have to pay huge money to their lawyers AND yours. I mean really, where in the real world would you give anyone anything but some 1st aide and a good laughing at for putting a cup of hot coffee between their legs and trying to drive a MANUAL shift car?

Thee aren't shop classes anymore so nobody has ANY experience using tools so it's not safe to let them use the real deal.

On the topic I'd just cut, bend and weld a ring in under 5 mins. rather than call for a PO (Purchase Order) #, drive to the hardware store, drive the receipt to the office, drive back to the shop and use it, not less than an hour, traffic permitting. I used to do that kind of thing all the time and the guys stopped giving me crap when I could finish most little doodads like a chain coupler faster than they could get a PO from the office on the phone.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is probably the handiest chisel I have, its a bent slitting chisel, it looks like someone has sharpened the side and put a bend in it for a prank but it will shear the head off a rusted in bolt in a couple of hits. I tried to make a couple out of truck spring but the steel is not up to the job, I will have another attempt when I get my hands on some good tool steel.

380-241-1.jpg

photo from rennsteig.us

A nice sharp chisel is always a bonus! A trick when flanges are pressed in real tight is to weld a small bit on the inside wich "shrinks it"

Ian

I've used the welding trick many times for removing pressed fits. It works. It is a lot easier, without the risk of flying shrapnel, when dealing with hard metal such as bearing races.

Many times the "Proper Tool" *is* a hand tool!

I was once called in as a smithing consultant on a small viking boat build; I fixed the problem they were having rivetting the strakes together and noticed they were tapering them with a cheap belt sander---noisy, dusty, a pain to use.  I showed them that a drawknife was *faster*, cleaner and less noisy.  They had automatically assumed that the power tool was the way to go.

I once also beat my old college romemate assembling a structure held together with lagbolts.  He was using a battery powered drill and I was using a Brace with a bit that held sockets.  Where the real payoff was was the fact I could snug them all the way down hard while the drill's torque started to flag as the bolt sank  deep into the holes.

Now I wouldn't trade my massive angle grinder for a hacksaw; but I do use a 30" hacksaw at the scrapyard on a regular basis---and carry a hammer and chisel as a rusted bolt remover

Tomas, you know why the put threads on those things don't you?
To get them out ;-) new am old carpenter that drove them with a 4# hand sledge.

Frosty, I say let Mr. Darwin's theories play out. Not saying the ignorant and those not blessed with intelligence should suffer if we can help, but the stupid among us need a reality check.

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, August 5, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Steve Sells, August 5, 2013 - spam

Предлагаем Вам Большой выбор корабликов для рыбалки!Кораблик для рыбалки CarpHunter.Вы до сих пор тратите свои деньги? Тогда попробуйте Кораблик для рыбалки с эхолотом и gps навигатором в действии.

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, August 5, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Steve Sells, August 5, 2013 - spam

How to get aim for coupon codes

Markdowns are very widely known in all the corporation. But producing the real price reductions based on the need to have is the real notion. More people are certainly searching for selection of discount business cards and it is distinct from other types of handmade cards and it can honestly give the better results in discount amounts. Your discount level is fixed dependant upon the amount of investing in. Each device is produced in order to get a fixed nominal price. Refer to it the whole profit price. Weeks coming in to the retail niche they are taking enough income based on their unique need along with calculations. Retail industry is definitely making more many advantages due to the wide variety of business procedures. It nike blazer is completely not the same as the whole sale made deals.

Goal coupon codes can be famous in the business marketplace with different suggestions. Target bonus codes are the authentic document for just a fixed variety or volume of reduction or simply offers that are available. This is really taking effect in two options. One pathway is to get all of the direct revenue backup with the whole funds bills. Upcoming path is without question offer. That is definitely allowing the customer to buy further products in line with the card. Which may be happening to get a fixed amount and air jordan deutschland nike air max günstig it is correctly depending on the completely market rank. Most of the similar business organisations are rendering target discounts at http://www.amidalla.de/openx/airmax.html the same time. Almost all business is walking with the same structure and it will indeed be very easy to get a common individual. In each within the product invest in a particular coupon is given to the customer.

Frequently it will be comprising a business card of a solution type. It may possibly really cause enough cut in most of the package price dependent on the company attitudes. Now specific coupons Air Jordan günstig usually are coming in unique aspects. Some types of magazines are generally giving one of the best target printable coupons with them to carry out the business marketing. Various types of organization promotions will be included in nike air max schuhe the marketplace. Common internet marketing in news stations and other records and documents are one format. Next can be found in the form of clips other textual programs. nike air max 1 Now the business industry is evolved in the form of on the net manner. It's spread the business enterprise in an on line manner. Ultimate support from your business louis vuitton outlet world message boards is really sustaining all the online income ventures utilizing perfect services. The tricks of handmade cards are being created a new ideal impact looking.

Legal would help are using these kinds of objective coupon codes. In line with the laws a majority of these target consumers are really certificates or metzingen outlet an arrangement between the producer and the consumer. The buyer has become the perfect allowed by the law service with the Government for virtually every kinds of items. Target voucher codes are really included in various home business industries and them are utilizing the codes in several business ideas. Perfect over the internet target bargains are now in most of the web shops. Direct price reduction crediting to the plastic cards and consideration are also developing. These all are really happening using the impact of your technology..

http://www.amidalla.de/openx/free.html
http://www.amidalla.de/openx/nike.html
http://www.amidalla.de/openx/airmax.html
http://www.torteam24.de/louisvuitton.html
http://www.torteam24.de/nike.html
http://www.torteam24.de/airmax.html
http://www.torteam24.de/metzingen.html
http://fhi-virtual.de/shop/
http://virtualairlines.eu/jordan/

Related Articles:
Air Jordan online kaufen 069
louis vuitton 656