I Forge Iron

Visiting OLD blacksmith shop

Exciting day today, I get to visie the local OLD blacksmith shop (pre 1630) and get my pick of the tools as they don't do blacksmithing anymore.

I know I'll get a nice solid (but not too big) anvil and possibly a swage block, but he said he had lots of thongs and hardies and other handtools I could have.

Earlier this week someone else gave me a very nice post vice, it is now mounted to an old oak stand, works very well and is portable.

We moved about a month ago and couldn't take much of our blacksmith gear, so we are rebuilding our shop, the burner for the forge is almost done and is just waiting a 12-24 tap so I can thread the gas nozzle, at that point we are up and running.

I'm so excited I just had to share :-)

A blacksmith shop that dates back to 1630?  That has got to be a sight to see!

Given half the chance, I would try to see if they would let me rent the space so I could use the entire blacksmithing area and all those tools.  Bring some life back to the shop and make them some money in the process!

Sorry to say, the visit didn't happen today, going to try again later this week.

While the shop has been in operation since 1630s the original building is long gone, the tools are now stored in the hobby barn at the house of the new owner of the business (still a steel business, but no blacksmithing), the place was a working blacksmith shop until the late 1970s, I remember hanging out there as a kid.

I'll post some pictures when I get out there, the collection of tools; anvils, swage blocks, blowers and so on is staggering.

Good luck to you! Make sure when your smithy is up and running make sure you pass your good luck along by sharing your knowledge to others and gifts of your craft.

Harold, most of these tools will be used by my son Sam, he is the gifted blacksmith in the family, he took some classes from a blacksmith you may know, Gordon Williams, I think he lives somewhere close to you.

Schilpr: Your fortune leaves me breathless, to get a chance to rescue an entire or most of a historical artifact of a blacksmith shop gives me chills. Heck, I get giddy just being asked to help organize the smithing tools at the local museum. to have the chance to rescue almost 400 years of history is a privilege and honor.

I'm glad you and your son are undertaking the challenge. I tip my hat to you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Harold, most of these tools will be used by my son Sam, he is the gifted blacksmith in the family, he took some classes from a blacksmith you may know, Gordon Williams, I think he lives somewhere close to you.

Yes I do know Gordon! Good guy and one hell of a blacksmith.