I Forge Iron

A tool to make a tool to make a tool........

So, I saw a cool pocketknife based on a Gary Huston style folder (on here of course), and decided to try one this morning (left mine in Texas!), and got annoyed.

I was cheating with some pliers (yeah, I know) teeth ground down so not to mar the stock because I didn't have the right tongs, and got fed up after I dropped the stock for the fifth time and decided it was a good morning to catch up on my tool making.

And then I didn't have the right size tongs to hold the bar stock for the new tongs after I finished the first half and cut it off the rod, so...........

I guess my question is, what's the most layers back have you gone into making a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make..........etc, for a specific project?

Good Morning,

The function of Blacksmithing is "To Make A Tool to Make A Tool to Make a ????????"

Add the number of days you have been smithing, multiply by a factor of ????. That is how many sequences there are to the process!! :) :) :)

Neil

True, but talking about for a specific project. 

Like, in a recent example, grinding a small rod, to serve as a "negative" to forge the end of a new punch onto to get the right shape for the eye on an animal head on a door knocker I was working on. (only two layers in this one.) Sure, I used a hot cut, and a hold down, etc. but those were already made.

Lord only Knows how many times I have wasted the entire day making tools just to do a simple job due to getting Po'ed because I did not have one tool I wanted and ended up making 10 or so for the day then cleaning the shop kicking stuff and cleaning more for the mess I made from that kick . yep been there done that and have a few T shirts and mashed toes <Grins> & <Tears>

Sam

The most tools that I had to make for a project was to construct mid-1800s era wooden wheels, that were part of a period U.S. Army Traveling Forge, to in turn make stuff using the forge.  There are a significant number of tools used to make and assemble, band and tire a large wooden wheel, and if I were to take up building wheels on a regular basis, there would be a significant amount of time and effort in constructing and upgrading tools and jigs as part of that sort of enterprise.  The larger the wooden wheel that a single person makes in any volume, the more tools are likely to be helpful in making multiple identical parts accurately,quickly and safely. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made a fire rake / poker to make a set of tongs, to make a chisel, to cut a larger piece of steel down to make a knife blank. So that'd be three layers back.

I've made several punches and drifts trying to make hammer/axe heads.

I've made my firepot, my box bellows, and my forge as well though I don't think it counts as a layer as you describe them.

I guess I've made most of my kit excluding my anvil, vice, and hammers.  I bought a few sets of tongs to "jump ahead" a bit.  

Recently I've been trying to remind myself to enjoy the hobby and not focus on production.  It often feels like I'm always making a tool to make another tool.  I think that's the crux of blacksmithing special projects.

I'd imagine that's why some folks specialize and why some folks have so many tools.

I thought about this thread just last night when I was watching an Aspery video on the net: he was making a turning wrench and it got me thinking about making some for myself.  Noting the tools he used in that video I was quick to see that I was going to be starting at least three layers behind him.

It really got me to thinking about how much I enjoy forging iron and making the tools.  I don't mind making a knife or whatever as a final project, but I believe I like making the tools more.  Maybe I'm seeing too many new smiths, and maybe some not-so-new ones, get hung up on making the glory pieces and not the more mundane things like the tools we use.  If you can't make a good looking chisel or whatever, how can you expect to have the skills needed to make bigger projects?  I encourage anyone to buy the tongs after they can demonstrate an ability to make them to a standard.

There are dozens and dozens of chisels and punches you can use for various projects, so you can't say "I don't need that."  I didn't need a J-chisel or L-chisel when I made them, but they sure came in handy two months later when I used them on a project.  Same could be said for the half-dozen ball and eye punches in various sizes.  Forge, file, sand..... make those babies look store-bought!

All that to say - I find the journey far more enjoyable than the destination.