I Forge Iron

Smithing loves company?

I'm just starting out in my smithing. Forge is built, Anvil is next on the list and shortly after that tongs are a must. but besides all that. I find myself incouraging my friends to take up the hammer too. I might not know much, but I'm excited about the prospects and I love working with metal and working with my hands. I can't be the only one who's done this. and I know that smiths aren't hermots hiding in their dark workshops all the time. If so there wouldn't be large groups like the NWBA or forums like this.

How many of you have offered to get people into smithing even if they haven't voiced an interest in learning it? 

Them - "Hey that's pretty cool, you built your own forge."

Me - "it wouldn't be hard to build you one too."

Yeah, the one thing I didn't think of . . .(Well, ONE of the things I didn't think of. <grin>) when we built here is there just isn't anybody walking past, not within sight anyway. but I am always inviting folk to come out and take a slash at smithing. It's funny at demos fewer folk are willing to give it a try, maybe afraid of being embarrassed or something.

I'm always looking for new playmates if I have to teach them myself. It's working well if a little slowly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, If I ever make it up to Alaska I'll hammer on some metal with you. I'm sure I'd learn a ton.

Give us a jingle we'll play with fire and hit things. I don't know about a ton unless punch lines count. . .

Frosty The Lucky.

Interested friends & neighbors do come over, and my son & daughter help.  I would be concerned with just grabbing anyone would be the potential liability.  I am cautious about who I allow into my area based on their safety awareness, experience and whether or not I think they'd sue me.  And you need to have on hand any additional protective gear for anyone helping out.

Now Craven, that's no way to live. Fear of reprisal does not promote community and fellowship. Besides, I wont be inviting over anyone I don't know, at least not until I've got an anvil that rings loud enought to make the neighbors wonder what's going on. and the fact that the majority of them are on the far side of the trees, I doubt that I could work on a bell and bring them in. I do get the extra PPE. Thats just a given.

Interested friends & neighbors do come over, and my son & daughter help.  I would be concerned with just grabbing anyone would be the potential liability.  I am cautious about who I allow into my area based on their safety awareness, experience and whether or not I think they'd sue me.  And you need to have on hand any additional protective gear for anyone helping out.

You do have to evaluate visitors and NO I don't let just anybody touch tools in my shop.

Thor: this craft is an endless learning curve, I learn somethng from everyone I've ever watched at the anvil, even if it's a, "DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!!!" Lesson.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've offered to teach a beginners class in blacksmithing to our church youth class. We are small but close. So far I have two girls intrested. :) My friend and I will also do demos for local churches with only three requirements. 1) we get to sell our wares 2) they have to feed us 3) we tithe 10% of our total profit for the day to the church that we demo for, any denomenation.

This opens up a whole new market for us and word gets around.

Our ministrie is also a 1/2 way house for recovering substance abusers and recovering alcoholics. I offer them classes also and so far have three students from the fifteen in that group.

I find people are from totally disinterested as in...

I can just buy that at Wal-mart so why bother with all that work...

to

Well that's cool or interesting and I like it but...

I really ain't interested in doin it.

To

Let me try that and that was cool and so now I can put a cross through "Blacksmithing" on my bucket list but that was enough.

To

Yeah let's do more of that but the more of that never happens.

To

I'll let you know and a friend of mine let me know and we made some way cool handles for a woodworking project he had.  He was quite pleased but not much since.    He respects the trade but it ain't his hobby.

But think of this as planting seeds.  Some will grow.   Some will not.  Some will lay dormant perhaps for years.    Get over trying to succeed in getting others interested and active.   Just share and move through life being humble and available and willing to help and share. 

oh I've got no reservations on getting people to actually do it. I'm just finding myself offering. I do the same thing with most of the stuff I do. welding, carpentry, landscaping, etc. Maybe it's just because I'm a very social person, Maybe it's just something that goes with the project at hand. but either way, I don't take offense if something doesn't want to try.

I teach a lot of dipping your toes in classes""; generally making an S hook from 1/4" hot rolled sq stock.  To pass there are 3 criteria:

you listen and follow instructions, you are safe around other people with hot steel, you are safe around yourself with hot steel.  You can totally destroy your piece but as long as you have passed I'll give you another chance.  (There is a hidden one too "Though shall NOT annoy the smith!")

Lots of people try, a few go on to dabble, some of those get into it and a few of those really take off!

However all of them now know that having a forge around the neighborhood is a *good* thing and not something to feared and forbidden.

I've had quite come along over the years saying they would like to learn the craft. I've had a few to show up and give it a try. I don't know of but one. that ever stuck with it. It is amazing how many actually say they want to make a sword. As soon as I try to explain that I have never made a sword, lack the knowlege to do so, and how complex a sword really is............that is the end of those clowns. But, if and when the next one comes along, I will gladly do all that I can to help.

I get lots of "tire kickers" at every demo, very few ever show even for a first time. Every once in a while someone does come by and one in every few years will stick long enough to get a good handle on the craft. Ah, fact of life sometimes you just have to go through the lint in all your pockets to find that one sunflower seed.

Frosty The Lucky.