I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

A friend found a very rugged old anvil in an old barn and asked me to try and ID it. I told her I would need to post and see if anyone might have a clue. Not much to work with here guys; very few stamp marks, so I really don't expect a positive ID. Any help will be greatly appreciated...Large P stamped on outer base, what I assume to be English pound weight marks 1 0 25, and 3 rectangular channel holes, front, back, and outer side on base. I'm assuming that the P doesn't stand for Peter Wright, but do you think it could be an old English anvil ? Thanks, Goodeyon...

With all due respect to my Artist Blacksmith Brother's. We all know what an anvil looks like, photos aren't going to enhance my description. I'm not asking for a miracle, can someone confirm that 1 0 25 is likely an English weight stamp. I will be happy if I can get that...Thank You...

So photos of what the feet look like which is a MAJOR TELL on if it is an old English anvil won't help us tell if it's an old English Anvil?  Sorry, I don't get that...

A Photo of the base can tell if it's a HB or a Trenton 

A photo of the horn/cutting step/face which is distinctive of a Vulcan?

This is like asking us what kind of car you have with no markings and telling us photos won't help!

You can yourself confirm if that's an English weight stamp.  Weigh it, if it weighs 137 lbs or close to that it's an English weight stamp. 

If you want help identifying it post pictures and/or trying cleaning the sides and using flour to see if there's faint markings.  My PW has faint markings that are legible on the 2nd full moon when you sprinkle pixie dust on it.

With all due respect to my Artist Blacksmith Brother's. We all know what an anvil looks like, photos aren't going to enhance my description.

Anvils do not all look alike.

Even thought we all know what a generic anvil can "look like", many things can be ascertained through photos that are completely lacking in your description.

But having three numbers on the front with spaces between them like 1-0-25 would be the english hundredweight marking.

So photos of what the feet look like which is a MAJOR TELL on if it is an old English anvil won't help us tell if it's an old English Anvil?  Sorry, I don't get that...

A Photo of the base can tell if it's a HB or a Trenton 

A photo of the horn/cutting step/face which is distinctive of a Vulcan?

This is like asking us what kind of car you have with no markings and telling us photos won't help!

@ Thomas

Don't be difficult "it's red and the bumpers are shiny they might be chrome steel, I think maybe plastic!

@ Goodeyon

Be biscut and post a pic.

I didn't mean to cause such a flurry about the photos. The anvil is not in my possession and I do not have any photos. I should have stated that before the storm hit and been more prepared before I posted, and for that I apologize. My main objective was to obtain whether or not it was of English origin, and I believe that has been accomplished. When my Trenton was identified it was done by my description of the markings and I thought that possibly the large P stamp and spaced number stamps would suffice on this anvil. I'll tell my friend the results and also that I lost a few pints of blood on this one...Thank you for your time, in the future I will be better prepared before I post to the group...Goodeyon

I didn't mean to cause such a flurry about the photos. The anvil is not in my possession and I do not have any photos. I should have stated that before the storm hit and been more prepared before I posted, and for that I apologize. My main objective was to obtain whether or not it was of English origin, and I believe that has been accomplished. When my Trenton was identified it was done by my description of the markings and I thought that possibly the large P stamp and spaced number stamps would suffice on this anvil. I'll tell my friend the results and also that I lost a few pints of blood on this one...Thank you for your time, in the future I will be better prepared before I post to the group...Goodeyon

Sorry, we can't be much help if you can't or wont post a pic or two. If all you're interested in is it's weight put it on a scale. The way you use the phrase "Artist blacksmith Brothers" is bordering on a derogatory slight.

If you consider yourself a blacksmith you ought to KNOW what those numbers represent if CWT, it's just too easy to confirm to bother other's.

I've already apologized for reacting to snide replies from beginners who didn't like the answers they got and I'm not going to do it again so, depending on our next post, I may not pay much attention to this thread.

"With all due respect."

Frosty The Lucky.

Being 60yrs. old and a former Marine and 30yrs. plus as an outlaw biker perhaps I use the term Brother loosely. I'm not a purist so I'm not familiar with all the facts and terminology of the blacksmith trade, that's why I became a member of this site to get expert advice. I have been in the metal trades for many years and am a journeyman pipe welder and an accomplished metal artist. I took a primary smith course and studied under a true master, Frank Turley. Somehow my post was turned into a weight issue when my original question was identification. I was unprepared and gave more than an ample explanation and apology. I received help from a few craftsman who actually wanted to help me. The rest gave taunts and I was even given a cheap shot and a threat. To those who were sincere thank you, to the rest every dog has his day and I will not be intimidated and will continue to be a member of this group. If you wish to ignore my posts and recommend that I am wasting your valuable time, that's your choice...With all due respect, Goodeyon...

Goodeyon, The markings and handling holes you described in the initial post are the same as some Peter Wright anvils, so that's at least a possibility. Yes, the markings 1 0 25 are English hundredweight markings and (as mentioned above) equal 137 lb. That method of weight marking is exclusive to England in my experience.

Since the concensus is it may be a PW maybe this would help.  Here are pics of my Peter Wright, Goodeyon see any similarities especially the step above the feet?  I wasn't kidding about the markings being faint, but if the sunlight hits it just Wright you can make some of it out.

Before and after I cleaned it up and rubbed it w/ boiled linseed oil.  FYI, anvil stand wasn't finished in that pic, no whines about lack of support on the legs.

post-34362-0-55366200-1373511508_thumb.j

post-34362-0-05267100-1373511579_thumb.j

I want to thank everyone who made comments and gave advice, I truly do appreciate it. Sorry that I got off on the wrong  foot with some, if I appeared to salty it wasn't intentional, just getting old and had a lot of hard knocks...Sincerely, and with the upmost respect to all...Goodeyon