I Forge Iron

Finally found a decent anvil - Hay Budden

After a couple years of looking and turning up empty handed, I attended an auction and found this old anvil up for sale.  It's a 148 pound Hay Budden and, while it looks ugly in the picture, I have already starting cleaning it up and it is looking good.  It shows some use but the top is flat and the ring is great.  Would someone indulge me and tell me when it was made?  The serial number is either 77081 or 77681, I can't tell what the middle digit is due to it being a light strike but the others are clear.  It does not appear to have the thin top plate which I think some of them have. 

Thanks! 

FreshAnvil_zps0d9835a8.jpg

Looks ugly in the picture?!?  I think it looks fantastic!

Auctions are always iffy on what people will pay- how much did it run you?

I don't have my AIA book in front of me, but guessing age at early 1900's, like before 1910.

I'm sure someone will chime in here with more accurate info.

Ugly?!? It's dirty and if that counts as ugly I'm sunk. <sigh> It looks to be in excellent condition. How's the rebound? ring is a so, so indicator, rebound is much more telling. Still, being a Hay Budden if it rings it's almost undoubtedly good.

Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, everyone.  I suppose it was my lucky day.  The weather was beautiful and I decided to head out to an auction which advertised an "anvil" for sale but no detail on what it was.  If nothing else, I'd get to explore the countryside and enjoy the day.  The above is what I found sitting in the dirt on the floor of a barn.  I ended up getting it for $200 which, in my neck of the woods, is a good deal.  It was another sad, familiar situation where the old fella who owned the farm had passed on and his aging widow was there at the sale overseeing the process of liquidating the farm assets.  I spoke to her for a bit and made some conversation about the farm itself.  I also asked her if she knew how long that anvil had been sitting at the farm.  She smiled and said, "a long time".  She was a lovely, older lady and I appreciated her friendliness.  While I didn't know the previous owner I sort of feel privileged now being the caretaker of this fine tool.  All in all, a great day. 

It'd be nice if you could forge something for her to show your appreciation though probably no way to contact the widow.

Take good of that anvil and put her to work, that's a real beauty, rusty or not.

That's a wonderful anvil!  For less than $2 a pound, you got a very good deal.  

Congratulations to you.  You have a gem of an anvil with a bit of local history, and now it's time to get the fire up and put the hammer to steel.