I Forge Iron

Idea suggestions for 1/2 in plate x 2 x 4"

So yesterday at work I found some pieces of metal in the scrap bin. They are 2" x 4" x 1/2". I was wondering if y'all had any idea what I could use em for? They are a mild steel. Could they be used for axes or hawks as long as I add a bit for the edge? Any other ideas?

prime material for mokume gane torque plates, drill a hole in each corner to receive bolts and weld a stud to the center of the short face on one of them for use as a tong grabbing point, then have at it! :)

wander your way over to the tool (or was it tailgating) section or otherwise search up 'pocket hardy(ie?)' sounds like a promising blank for one of those.

how many is 'some' anyway?

wonder if you could go the adze route? or if you would be able to get enough cheek to have it sit well on the handle?

I have three. 

Yes they could be used for axes if you laid in a higher carbon steel bit.  They do seem a bit thick for a wrap around axe and a bit thin for a slit and drift axe

thats what I was afraid of :(

You could definitely make them into axes and hatchets.  You need to draw out and thin down the part that wraps around to form the eye, but that's relatively easy.  Weld that leg to what becomes the cheek of the axe for an asymmetrical weld, then form the rest of the stock into the axe.  When you get close to final shape, chisel in a groove for the steel bit and weld her up.  

I definitely like the idea of using them for bolster plates and other odds and ends around the shop.  Were I you, I'd grab as many as possible and save them.  If you're work is constantly producing them, you'd have a great trade item.... but if not, you have a great resource for a lot of projects.

Greetings CD,

1/2 by 2x4 makes a great base for split crosses ,  large flowers. cat tails . ect .. Every where you need some base weight..  Texture the edges with a rounding hammer, slag texture the surface and bingo a nice base.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim