I Forge Iron

Hardy hammer Anvil

A guy on the ''Practical Machinist'' forum is very proud of this repair on an anvil that was broken at the hardy hole I think... I think I would have just ground the break even with the inboard side of what was left of the hole and left it some dignity..... :lol:

post-15096-0-47357800-1370996177_thumb.j

I don't see anything technically wrong with it, besides the fact that you'd have to customize all of your hardies for it.  As far as possible issues, I can't tell how good the weld is from that distance, and I don't know whether or not he used a good deformation resistant wire (my dad runs a T1 rated dual shield wire at his job) or rod for the top layer or two between the sledge head and the anvil, and I can't tell if he heat treated it when he was done.  Other than that, good on him.  Yeah, it ain't pretty, but a tool ain't gotta be pretty to be a good tool, and it might have some interesting functionality around the hammer head.  I'd still have to make an anvil saddle with a fin on it as a good joke.  I don't see that hammer as any more wrong than scrolling nubs, or that weird shelf on some artist anvils, or an upsetting block.  This doesn't mean I would have gone through the trouble that he did.

Function before form guys. Function before form. That being said, The prettiest girl in one town could be the ugliest girl if she moved to another town. It's all about what you're comparing it too. As it stands, His anvil is much prettier than mine.

I don't see much improvement in function here.  It would be a pain in the butt to forge tools to fit the hammer eye.  It offends my sensibilities as a serious craftsman it makes me want to say mean things.

I don't see much improvement in function here.  It would be a pain in the butt to forge tools to fit the hammer eye.  It offends my sensibilities as a serious craftsman it makes me want to say mean things.

Pain yes, but thats not to say it can't be done. and it still allows the use of hardy tools. something my little RR track anvil will not have the option of.

Pain yes, but thats not to say it can't be done. and it still allows the use of hardy tools. something my little RR track anvil will not have the option of.

What would have shone some brains on the part of the owner would have to drift out the eye of the hammer square before welding it on.   Have you ever tried to free hand forge a tapered? oval not easy my friend...  Yes its better than a RR track anvil but that is not saying much. 

I'll not lambast the fellow.

The repair gives him a hole for hardies, and there's no rule saying that the shaft of a bottom tool has to be solid, or square.  He could weld on a shank of 1/8" stock that's as wide as the hole is long and that would prevent the tool from jumping around.

And I'm sure the anvil's ring is certainly a good deal less than it once was!