I Forge Iron

2013 7th annual Trying-It hammer-in

The 7th annual "Trying-It" hammer-in for 2013 will be Fri-Sun Sept. 13-15.

(Many travelling long distances have been known to arrive early and leave later than actual event dates!)  :ph34r: 

Note the date/month changes as we moved the event to 3rd weekend in Sept vs.3rd weekend in Aug of past years!

We feed 3X/day..... farm setting here so bring a tent. (Camper/RV park within 2 miles of us)

Zipcode 62274 to Mapquest. We live 6.5 miles north of that on IL. State Rt 127

Come make some more memories with us again!!!!

Last year IFI members from 7 States attended.  :D 

email trying_it2@yahoo.com if you need more details, exact address, cell #, etc.

Stan

I would love to attend this. If anyone is going and traveling through jacksonville florida, please let me know if I can hitch a ride. Otherwise I'm stuck riding a bus if finances permit. I could surely pull my own weight on a road trip.

Past 6 here were always in August, but I am now joining the regional antique Steam group and their 5-day show dates are same as my past 3-day hammer-in. 

I am a Gemini, but still can not figure out how to hammer there and be here at same time!  :D

• 1 month later...

If you will have me I would like to return. Plans have been re-arranged so I should have time available. Last year was a real treat to me. Met so many very nice people it was hard to believe they were from "UP YONDER" and "Way above Memphis". LOL

carry on

We have not turned anyone away in the past 6 so why start now!

We even let Steve Sells attend!  :ph34r:

Stan do you know how many will be there this year? I know I've had a great time every year.

Reminder

Attendees are encouraged to bring something to donate to the Iron In The Hat raffle.  

I know entirely new names at the past events are planning on coming this year!  :ph34r:

Also bring bug spray, or a shotgun, depending on Stans current crop of skeeters.

We just call them "skeet" here for short   :P

• 1 month later...

I just made it home from Trying Its Hammer in and I must say it was a blast. David Gaddis and I arrived Friday about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, got unloaded, set up our station, then started forging. Stan has a heck of a shop and was willing to help with anything you needed. It was Steve McCarthys birthday so David and I made him a 3 ½ pound hammer. There were forges going inside and out. The camaraderie was great and Stans wife and daughter kept the food coming. Stans backyard was full of tents. We got up at daylight Saturday morning and started forging. Thanks everyone for making it a great event and I look forward to next year. David Gaddis made this happen for me, If it wasn’t for him I would have had to miss it. Thanks David, and everyone else that made this happen.

It just gets better every year. Stan, Clara and Susan are great hosts. It was fun to see old friends and meet some new ones.  As Lyle said, him and David made me a hammer. What an awesome birthday present! I promised them I wouldn't teach it any bad habits. Since it was forged on Friday the 13th, David named it "Jason" .

Hope to see everyone again next year.

Oh yeah...It was a great time for me too. So nice to reaquaint with past friends and meet new ones. Lyle and I made another hammer late saturday evening to sweeten the pot for the Iron in the Hat stuff and a new guy from (Minnesota, I think) ended with it ...Yep it was Dean. He is the luckiest man around so try to always be near him! Several of the returning folk did not see the creation of the hammer on friday for Steve so they got to help watching Saturday as the sun was was setting. For some it was a first time to see the beginning to end creation of the hammer from a piece of steel. That made the hammer even more important as we had everyone there strike their initials for the memorable event.

Oh...the hospitality was good ...no it was great. The only thing we forgot to bring along was a shotgun. It could be were  useful to scare away some of those animals that doing all that snoring.

thanks for having us back again this year.

carry on

This was the first time for me to go to Stans.Yes I won that terrific hammer,Daves frying pan,LDWs bbq fork,and key ring,1"sq wrought iron 36" long large ratchet strap and a pc of steel to make a hot cut.I want to thank Stan,Clara and Susan for the great food and hospitality.Also for all the time Stan took to guide me through 3 billets.I got to meet a bunch of wonderfull people.And to watch and listen to LDW and Dave Gaddis was a learning experience.  Thanks again Stan it was great.    1492 miles round trip and worth every mile.  Dean

Got home an hour ago.........9 hours...........might need to use a lighter brick on the accelerator......but I guess when the truck is lighter it just goes faster, empty beer kegs are real light......

on the hammer-in....what they all said, really great time......in fact, it's so good it's addictive........you have to keep going back for more.   Even if it's only to find out what flux and turkeys have to do with each other..... :wacko:

Thanks again Stan and special thanks to Clara and Susan..........you couldn't do this without them.   :)

I'm sure there is a turkey running around dusted with borax. We all had a great time, in fact, I haven't left yet. Still allot of fun to be had. Amazing, I had to come way up north to find some true southern hospitality. Stan gives us a good time and Ms. Clara and Susan put out some great food, and thank you guys for that. I gained a few great friends and learned allot. Lyle and Dave made a fine hammer and it was allot of fun to watch. My stomach still hurts from laughing so hard. Thank you to all of my new friends, you really feel like brothers now.