I Forge Iron

forge found at the metal yard

Friend called this morning and said he'd set something aside for me at the salvage yard. When I got there I found this forge. In it was this strange "s" shaped tool. I can see how it would be used but not what specificaly for. Any ideas?

Just for laughs, this post drill was found at the same metal yard, by my same friend, earlier this week. I gave him half a five gallon bucket of sharkbites I had been hoarding for thanks. He likes those.

post-26673-0-74022000-1369965508_thumb.jpost-26673-0-43265400-1369965519_thumb.jpost-26673-0-86530600-1369965532_thumb.j

Nice score!

I missed out on two going really cheap at a big Memorial day yard sale but got there about an hour late. <sigh> I don't burn coal/coke but there are club members who do. Hopefully they'll get put to use and not end up planters. (The forges, not the club members  <grin>)

Frosty The Lucky.

WOW! 2 at one sale in Alaska, that's pretty rare, right?

Seeing one at all is pretty rare I was surprised to hear about two. Yeah, pretty darned rare. Once I got got he place I realized this guy had been a major accumulator of . . . Stuff. His wife was just clearing the land so it'd have a chance of selling. A friend had stopped in, picked up 5 horse shoe rasps and a small bucket of shoe nails for because. I buzzed on out to discover a large 5th wheel trailer load of steal and wooden crates of stuff pulling out as I got there.

Forges, hammers, steel and other stuff gone with it. Judging by what'd been left the guy knew something about smithing and metal work so they may get reincarnated as forges. I didn't need more claw hammers, picks, axes, OLD light shades, dump run stuff. I did grab 3 baseball bats for mallets and a handfull of gas welding rods for because.

Oh well, picked again!

Frosty The Lucky.

if/when the firepot gives out the axle cover from a banjo rear end can be turned into a replacement.  Kinda old but a lot of them were used as jackstands and still turn up as such, (paid $3 for a set around 25 years ago and am *still* using the first one in my coal/charcoal forge as the firepot---the forge I do all my billet welding in.)