I Forge Iron

Neat little anvil

Hello everyone, my boss gave me this nice little anvil this morning when I got to work. I tried searching the net for any info on it but I can't find anything :( It weighs about 15 pounds, what brand do you guys think it is?

5DFEB2D0-0FFD-47BA-B43E-665DA2548E9B-497

795F79A7-0C3B-4C84-A67F-125A71E3FE6A-497

The "N" in No15 is backwards.

Frosty Sounds like you also are well versed in door stops and book ends

Do you think it's our age and wisdom ?

Why By cracky Jim I do believe you've put you're finger smack dab no the nose of the heart of the dad gummed matter.

Frosty The Lucky.

So nobody knows anything about this little guy?

Stamped on the bottom is
No15
APW or ARW
Guelph Ont.

Both of the "N"'s are backwards which I thought was pretty cool. It weighs 15lbs.

I know it's just an ASO but I would really like to know if it actually has a "brand"

• 6 months later...

Try contacting the History Society of Guelph, Ont. Direct or the Town/City Offices for the History expert in the area.  I do historic research and Google does very little for me in initial research sometimes helps after you get some information going from a local source.  All the worlds information isn't on Google regardless what they would like you believe.   

Well, Google ain't perfect, but Google and Wikipedia can give you a headstart.......

The Guelph Civic museum gives you the name of a bunch of foundrys in the area, and a lot of cool documents if you search their collections. Found one wooden anvil casting pattern that looks a little similar to yours, but that beat up, hard to say for sure. There's also contact numbers if you wanted to call them to help you out.

http://guelph.ca/museum/?page_id=377

The big ones for the area (although) it looks like there was at least around 10 founders for the area were Callandar Foundry and Manufacturing Company Ltd., Wellington Foundry (or Wellington Mills), Mills and Melvin Iron Founders (at some point also Mills and Goodfellow Foundry) and Robertson Foundry. 

Callandar looks like it was mostly cast iron wood working tools, saws, drill presses, that kind of thing until it was bought out by Rockwell pre-WWII, Wellington made farm implements, and Mr A. Robertson apparantly did all kinds of general castings, and during the American civil war was heavily involved in making cast iron munitions/weapons for the South! Google will find you all kinds of old advertisements, town histories, etc.....

NTK, you may not find everything on the internet, but it's still a fun journey, and the info and pics on the sidetrips and dead ends are fascinating......

Well, Google ain't perfect, but Google and Wikipedia can give you a headstart.......

The Guelph Civic museum gives you the name of a bunch of foundrys in the area, and a lot of cool documents if you search their collections. Found one wooden anvil casting pattern that looks a little similar to yours, but that beat up, hard to say for sure. There's also contact numbers if you wanted to call them to help you out.

http://guelph.ca/museum/?page_id=377

The big ones for the area (although) it looks like there was at least around 10 founders for the area were Callandar Foundry and Manufacturing Company Ltd., Wellington Foundry (or Wellington Mills), Mills and Melvin Iron Founders (at some point also Mills and Goodfellow Foundry) and Robertson Foundry.

Callandar looks like it was mostly cast iron wood working tools, saws, drill presses, that kind of thing until it was bought out by Rockwell pre-WWII, Wellington made farm implements, and Mr A. Robertson apparantly did all kinds of general castings, and during the American civil war was heavily involved in making cast iron munitions/weapons for the South! Google will find you all kinds of old advertisements, town histories, etc.....

NTK, you may not find everything on the internet, but it's still a fun journey, and the info and pics on the sidetrips and dead ends are fascinating......

Thanks for the info man! I appreciate it.