I Forge Iron

Candle Holder

Pretty slick, aught to be a salable item for sure. My only question is how stable is the bottle? It looks like it might swing like a bell and maybe break against the twisted stem say by being bumped or by a gust of wind.

I think I have the inkling of a simple fix for swinging if it's a factor at all.

All in all, I really like it, lots of possibilities.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for posting the pic of the really cool candle holder. I think that there are several of us here that will attempt to duplicate yours. Just so happens that I have several bottles and a glass cutter laying around. 

Did you use a glass cutter or did you score it all the way around with a small file? 

This is surely on the to do list. Again, thank you.

Mark <>< 

I scored the bottle with a scorer from home depot. Then on the advice of David Gaddis I heated some water in a kettle and alternated hot water and cold tap water over the scored line until the bottom just fell off.   This method worked beautifully and only took about 3 rounds of hot then cold. 

You are up on the internet waaayyy too late. Get to bed so you can cut on those eyeball while rested!

And you project loos good as Lyle's. So now I guess we need to visit the patent office to see who owns what? Nooo Nevermind!

Carry on

I scored the bottle with a scorer from home depot. Then on the advice of David Gaddis I heated some water in a kettle and alternated hot water and cold tap water over the scored line until the bottom just fell off.   This method worked beautifully and only took about 3 rounds of hot then cold. 

I hadn't heard of that technique. We used to wrap a single line of string around a bottle, put a little lighter fluid on it and light it. It'd break clean in a very short time, sometimes seconds, never more than maybe 30-40 seconds. An old friend used to let the string burn a bit, then cut it off and blow on the line. We would've gotten straighter breaks if we'd scored the bottles first but we didn't. We were making beer and wine glasses or would that be flutes?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought a bottle cutting kit to make a similar candle holder I saw on here once, and most are made to cut the tops off bottles for glasses and not the bottoms, but with a little practice, it does work. (You can find the kits on amazon)

You really need an even score all the way around for the hot/cold water tick to work. (and when it does it's awesome, but when it doesn't there's great sadness!)

someone here posted they used a red hot heated ring to heat the bottle, and then dump it in the quench tub to pop the bottom off, but this method has never worked for me.