I Forge Iron

Just thought id share a couple photos of a nail header I made recently. This is my third nail header and I decided to make it the style I had seen on Angele-shop's website since it looked awesome to use not needing to hold onto it while heading a nail. I love this style and I aim to replace my others with ones like these when I get the time. My only issue with this type of nail header is that now I either need to make a hot cut hardy that fits my anvils pritchel or simply throw my current one in the vise...
post-24628-0-84870600-1367286337_thumb.j
post-24628-0-77955900-1367286367_thumb.j

That is an impressive bit of work!  Of course, considering your past posts, incredible is expected from your shop.

I would never have thought of that design, and I'm quite sure I couldn't have pulled it off quite as elegantly as you did.  Very good job, hoss.

Why not make the nail header fit your pritchel? ;)

Nice job, Jake! I like it a lot!

Alec

Ha ha! Well good point, now I feel just a bit silly ha ha! 
I made this from a breaker bit and it was the easier solution to forge it to fit the hardy hole, but I like your idea and for a 1/4 nail header I think Ill use different material and forge it to fit the pritchel.
Thanks for the complement Alec!

Thank you very much Vaughn T and Mudman! If only people saw the horror and clumsy mistakes I make before taking the finished photos  :D 
I got a drift good and stuck in this one...

Ha ha! Well good point, now I feel just a bit silly ha ha! 
I made this from a breaker bit and it was the easier solution to forge it to fit the hardy hole, but I like your idea and for a 1/4 nail header I think Ill use different material and forge it to fit the pritchel.

Why not make a mini shanked hardie to fit the pritchel hole? keeps distances travelled down to a minimum to help retain heat.

Why not make a mini shanked hardie to fit the pritchel hole? keeps distances travelled down to a minimum to help retain heat.

Well honestly I didn't do much planning at all when I made this. Often times I go in the shed to forge something and end up making a few things I hadn't planned. My intention was to just copy the tool I saw on that website Angele-shop to see if I would like it. I just added a small handle to make it easier to use...
I like trying various things and picking the one I like best, so the next couple Ill make differently, but quite similar in function no doubt.

Looks better than the Angele model to me. I've used the old type until now, but will now have a go at one in this style.

Two questions: 1) Does the hole goes right through? 2) Assuming is does go right through, did you drill it first and then drift it or punch right through?

The reason I ask is because I have found it very difficult to punch through and along the long axis of heavy stock. I haven't tried doing it with tool steel of that size and I guess it is very hard work, both getting it through and keeping it true.

Can you offer any tips?

Looks better than the Angele model to me. I've used the old type until now, but will now have a go at one in this style.

Two questions: 1) Does the hole goes right through? 2) Assuming is does go right through, did you drill it first and then drift it or punch right through?

The reason I ask is because I have found it very difficult to punch through and along the long axis of heavy stock. I haven't tried doing it with tool steel of that size and I guess it is very hard work, both getting it through and keeping it true.

Can you offer any tips?

Thanks!
The hole does go all the way through yes. I wasnt completely sure of the best way to do this given the length, but I ended up drilling all the way through with a 23/64 bit if i recall right. Im sure I didn't use 3/8...
Anyway since I already forged the shank to fit in my anvils hardy I didnt want to drift a taper from the back side because it would swell the shank, so I drilled the shank with a 1/2" bit up to the mass and drifted that to 3/8 square.
Given all I have is me myself and the bare bones basics, drilling first was the easiest solution I could think of instead of punching given the odd shape.

Thanks for that. I'm in a similar situation to you, most of the time just working by myself. That written, it does make me think my way around various problems and make little 'helpers' just to make singlehanded jobs easier... or possible.