How clean is your shop?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How clean is your shop?

• You can eat off the floor
    • Clean and Organized.
    • slightly dirty but still organized
    • sloppy
    • take half an hour to find my anvil

For me the humor is that if something is not on the floor, we have a hard time finding it. I need to get a bunch of drawers, hooks, cabinets and so on. My shop is my garage and it is quite a bit cramped. I guess the biggest problem is the metal dust all over the place and the scale off the forging projects.

Well, my shop isn't as bad as this one! Everything does have it's place but in the middle of a job things get moved around quite a bit. Once the job is finished everything goes back into it's place so I don't spend time trying to find it again. It's bad enough during a job when the shop gnomes take something and don't put it back for a while so I don't want to add to their mischief.

post-1310-0-66878500-1324782068_thumb.jp

I find that if I keep the shop clean and organized than it just makes it easier for others to find things and put them where I CAN`T find them. :rolleyes:
I know where it is and that`s all that counts as far as I`m concerned. It`s a shop not a Stew-dio or an operating room. When visitors arrive unannounced they get the standard warning and take their chances should they decide to come in.

I keep the corner of the garage that is 'mine' pretty clean - a small workbench with a small vice and a small ASO (which is suprisingly handy sometimes) on it, a small collection of scrap metal that is fairly well contained, a small knee-high table for putting stuff up a bit higher so it's easier to work on, or lower so I can sit down and fiddle around with it, and the anvil and stand, my little forge, and the slake and coal buckets. Those last 4 things go outside when it's time to bang on things. Tools stay in their tool chest when they aren't used, otherwise I can't find them, and I have a deal with my son - he can use anything he wants (except the power tools, he's only 11) as long as he puts it back where he got it. I've also got another small workbench with a drill press, another vise, and a couple of grinders on it that I can run a cord to and power everything with one go.

I've got another corner that is not so pretty - it's covered in stuff from some of my previous hobbies. I realize as I'm writing this that the table covered in stuff is a metal workbench - would make a good layout table if/when I ever get to the point of needing one.

The rest of the garage is given over to the wife and kids and the stuff they have to have out there. Almost no point in cleaning/reorganizing the rest of the garage. As soon as I make enough space to turn around in, something from the house gets moved into the opening.

PS - someone mentioned losing tools in a clean shop... when I worked in the ski shop, one of the best places to hide a tool someone needed was right in front of them. Skis go into a vise while you're working on them, usually. Put a screwdriver on top of the ski, parallel to the long axis of the ski, and your coworker will bat guano crazy looking for it. He'll never see it. Quite entertaining. Works with snowboards, too.

My shop is 1/2 a two car Garage....
My shop is is neat enough to be useful. It does need a good sweeping but I know where all my tools are. I need to organize my stock. I am trying to convince my wife to let me take over the rest of the garage

My shop used to look like a tornado went through... even after I had done a 4 hour clean-up several times. So a few weeks ago I decided to do a thorough cleaning (I mean REALLY thorough cleaning) and put a big bold sign up in the shop. It's been about a month and so far so good. Here's the rules I've put up on the wall...

BEFORE YOU BEGIN...

1. Start with a plan. What do you wish to accomplish today?

2. Remember to wear eye-protection, lung-protection, and/or gloves when necessary.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE...

1. Put everything back where you found it.

2. The workbench should be clear of all tools, current projects, wood, wood chips, sawdust, and metal filings. Keeping the workbench clean keeps it safer and more enjoyable to come back to next time.

If you are frustrated, STOP. Go inside, think about the problem, and then come back to the project. Keep the shop an enjoyable place to work.

~~~~

Feel free to edit, modify, and give suggestions.

Zachary

ime of the opinion that a clean shop is the sign of a warped mind..... But i have had coustomers say my shop was clean or at least cleaner than they remember there dads being....i can generally find my tools and there are clean spots on the floor ... i even sweep it once every few months....

I actually enjoy cleaning up the shop before I start my day, I'll get the work an hour early just to clean. its a good way for me to plan out my steps, warm up the forge or the heater and take stock of my stock. I like starting out with a clean work area and I like to stay organized but I usually end the day with a bit of a mess, and sometimes projects aren't done and it helps me remember where I left off if the tools and equipment are where I left them the day before. I had a boss that hated this quirk of mine, but fortunatly now I'm the boss!

I actually enjoy cleaning up the shop before I start my day, I'll get the work an hour early just to clean. its a good way for me to plan out my steps, warm up the forge or the heater and take stock of my stock. I like starting out with a clean work area and I like to stay organized but I usually end the day with a bit of a mess, and sometimes projects aren't done and it helps me remember where I left off if the tools and equipment are where I left them the day before. I had a boss that hated this quirk of mine, but fortunatly now I'm the boss!

I share that quirk. My friend that shares my shop with me likes to clean at the end of the day, but I like to work right up until I hit the wall, drop my hammer, and go inside. Then the next day, I can drink my coffee, clean up and think about what I'm going to take care of that day.

I generally work right up to the point I have lost the will to do anymore, which means cleanup/pickup in the morning......Not such a good plan if there are employees. Working by myself I tend not to put things back where they belong as I should and I pay the price,that is I set things down and find them again, most annoying. Get one or two others in the mix and it's pandemonium........

Interesting. My Dad used to say you can tell the quality of a man's work by the condition of his tools. I have always found that to be true. In addition, I have found cleanliness of my work area to be directly related to safety so I keep my shop area picked up, swept and organized as much as possible. After every work session, I tackle the clean up. Less worry about fire then, too. In an aside, (maybe this doesn't go in this topic but I'm going to say it anyway) I've have been noticing pictures of many smith's tools on this site and other 'smithing websites where the heads of fullers, hot sets, chisels, drifts, punches, cold sets and the like are dangerously flared from hammer blows. Speaking as one who had an ophthalmologist grind out a piece of steel from a pupil, you don't want to go through that; so, dress those flared tool ends after they begin to expand and prevent that painful occurrence.

My shop is schizophrenic, it goes through phases. Before a project, generally organised with a few too many tools on and around the forge. In the middle of a project, it's anyones guess where the A-list tools are, but I have lots of b-list tools to turn to. After the project you may be able to move carefully around the piles. Then sometime later I crank the tunes and have a putter day, and thats cleanup, put away, reorganize and dream up new mess making projects. Right now I have a mid project mess going as it is walking stick making time.

Wouldn't get a blue ribbon from Better Homes And Gardens but I know exactly where everything is and all of the essentials at arms length without taking a step away.

I pity the fool thief who tries to break in there in the dark of night though, he'll likely be found crumpled under a mass of jumbled iron and various bits.

Mine changes depending on where I am projectwise. I rarely clean up much until a project is finished, since I like all the tools I'm using to be out on the table. That said, half the time I still never clean up after a project. I like looking at all of my tools and although it's nice to start work in a clean shop, it always feels kind of sterile to me. I can never find anything regardless, even if it's right in front of me on a clean workbench, so I deal with it by having multiples of the tools I need all the time. There is a plethora of tape measures, utility hammers, safety glasses, etc scattered throughout by shop so there's always one nearby, and even if the one closest to me goes invisible I'll be able to find another one.

When the dust from the chop saw and grinders got DEEP, I hired helpers from "da hood" to sweep. The very first thing they ALL did is roll up all extension cords, hoses and welding leads. They sweep , get paid and leave me to unroll, un knot , untangle all that just so I can resume work. What a self inflicted hassle! Not again, now I use a leaf blower and a BIG vacuum cleaner, save the money that would have gone to sweepers and live happily ever after.

My shop is way too crowded with tools and machines, so I spend a lot of time organizing just to be able to get anything done. I also have a 20' shipping container outside for overflow storage, which I try to go through once a year or so, but that's a job I truly dread.

I generally clean up after finishing a project, but as far as thoroughly cleaning the shop, that happens whenever I get really frustrated after a half hour of looking for something that I need. At that point I try to just stop and take the time to put everything where it belongs, sweep the floor, etc.