I Forge Iron

The gods hate me

Compboy38

Just went outside to do some work on my first attempt at a forge. Thought I would do as was talked about on a sticky here start with what I had. Went over the $50 knife shop for 2 hours then went to do an hour work on getting a forge up and running with what I had just here.

Was going to start a fire and make some ash/charcol for the forge and anneal some steel for some stock removal projects I had in mind. And I go outside and literally step off the deck towards my fire area and it starts raining hard enough that I'm not getting a fire going. Like a tap was turned on and I have to wait till friday for my money to respawn. So I can't even go look for a dimmer switch, pipe, elbows etc..

Add to that my car is in the shop for what I thought would be a short visit and now has become a two day event and the other vechile we have is at work with my wife so I can't even go any place. ARGGHHH. To top it all off I was suppose to spend my day after the car got out looking for work. Thought I would make lemons (car down till tuesday) into lemonade (forge working). if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all.

Great part I work nights and monday and tuesday are my weekend. 

How about instead of thinking about going somewhere and not being able to, you sit down research somemore online about blacksmithing? You could spend the rest of your life learning and never learn it all :)

God doesn't hate you, he just wants to toughen you up a bit. So next time you try the forge build maybe put a little cover over it? Just a tarp on a couple poles to keep the wetness off.

Talk about weather shall we? It's 04/08 and last Friday it was in the upper 40's, there was bare ground showing on the driveway and I was smiling. Then come Saturday morning and it was snowing . . .HARD. (Yeah, don't laugh all you mid-westerners I married a UPer and hear about REAL snowfalls) Anyway, we were getting more than 1.5"/hr and by nightfall all the mud was hidden under almost a foot. Sunday morning it was around 15f and snowing lightly but the  plow pickup wouldn't start so I got to spend a couple hours in the snowyness tracking the problem down. Happily it wasn't a hard one to fix but I need to go to the parts store. <sigh>

This morning it was only snowing a tiny bit but it was 5f. No melting going on now!

Think I'll go to the parts store, pick up some fixings for Stromboli for dinner, come home and sit by the wood stove. I can plow tomorrow if it isn't colder or the truck isn't snowed under.

What fun would life be without it's little tests?

Frosty The Lucky.

Cowboy,

I think we've all had off days.  I used to live in a rain drenched bog that had about fourteen sunny days a year.  I had a motorcycle in the garage and I'd dream about riding it all the time.  I can still remember the frustration of having a sunny day off, wheeling the bike out and struggling with it for three hours before it sputtered to life.  Just as a thunderstorm down-poured rain on me!  I would have ridden anyway but it stalled out and wouldn't start again.

I sold that bike nearly fifteen years ago and to this day I can't see one like it without tasting bile.

Since then I've learned to be more careful with my hobbies.  I don't seek to actually complete anything in any sort of time frame.  I try my best to get my equipment as fool proof as I can although I'm still forging outside.  Time and money are constantly in trade for a lot of folks. It's important to be satisfied with how you've spent your time since you're trading a portion of your life for it!

Did you take the free time to do laundry, run the sweeper, do the dishes, sort and fold clothes etc? Did you make dinner so that when the wife got home there was nothing left for her to do that evening but relax.

Can not say it will work, but she may appreciate your efforts. Forging relationships is important also.

Alas I did that sat and sun she had those days off this week so we worked together on the laundry and cleaning.

Supper was handled by my mother who lives with us and takes monday night as her night to cook and hang with the grandkids.

Generally I cook anyway since she works days and even on a day when I work I'm up by 3 ish. My mother is out the door by 2ish so cooking falls to me since wife is not home till 6 ish. That and I like cooking, hate laundry, like sweeping and mopping. 

Out this way they are already talking of shutting down open burning due to fire danger, we've had about a third of an inch of rain this year so far.  I was recently asked if I could bring a propane forge to a "Medieval Event" to deal with fire restrictions (last year one event not only did I have to use the propane forge the County Fire Marshal picked my set up location and had to vet my set up before I could use it.

Unless you are in your 80's you should have plenty of time to get forging!

Well today went better got a fire going and hopefully annealed some steal at the same time and made a little charcoal and ash.

I tried posting a pick of my little fire and the grill but the site doesn't seem to be letting me. Which kind of sucks since I wanted to do a bit of a build along thread.  Now I just need to find some two inch steel pipe, cap, couple elbows and I should be in business forge wise.

Well it seems that I can get an image post just really big pictures sigh I will figure this out soon I hope

2013-04-09154910.jpg

okay last one was funny lol

I'm actually more worried about the fact people keep callin me coWboy I'm using coMPboy just hopping no one expects me to know anything about cows or horses what I know about either would fit in a single sentence. Pigs or computers I can have a conversation about.