I Forge Iron

Peddinghaus number 12

I am looking for an anvil really like the refflinghaus and the guy is super helpful.  Found a place where I can get a new peddinghaus for 1395 dollars plus shipping.  This about a 1000 dollars less than a refflinghaus of the same size. How hard are are the peddinghaus anvils I like that they are forged but seeing that they are owned by rigid was I guess they are mass produced was also wondering about quality.  Any help or advice would be of great help I borrrowed a Fisher the other day it is a lot better than my welding table but very rough.  I am having difficulty in finding a well taken care of used anvil and are probably going to buy a new one.  I am open to any brand or suggestion. 

There are two different manufacturers of Ped anvils now. One is Rigid of Europe and the others are made for Peddinghaus in Turkey. You can find them both on Pieh Tools web site. I've had a Ped

for more than 40 years with no problems other than expected wear,but it's not the same anvil as is made today. That said I can't really speak for what is made now. 

Thanks for the info and thoughts guys.  Checked out the fontanini look very good as well are they totally american made that would be a big plus for me.  If I could buy a high quality anvil made totally in the USA it please me.  I would welcome any more thoughts on these or other anvils especially high quallity totally USA made anvils.

I have a new Papa Rhino. Made in Spokane,Washington. Steve at Incandescent Iron has them made. Double ender like you want. Made of wonderful steel.My only objection to lots of the new anvils is the blunt tip!!!!!! Drive me nuts to have to go over to one of my other anvils to do small work at the horn tip.  His email is: stevem@incandescent-iron.com

Rigid Peddinghaus is of exceptional quality. It's one of the best anvils in existence today and the only drop forged anvil on the market. Many of the other anvils mentioned are top quality choices as well when you decide to go "NEW". I only purchased the #12 because it was a steal at $650... It's function is beyond my talent and skill level, but it's comforting to know that I will never "need" anything else, and there's nothing else out there that exceeds it's quality (within reason). The big pros working for the peddinghaus #12 is it's versatility, weight, and design function, and the 1"hardy :)... I don't have the slightest bit of worry when it comes to forging on the horn, and the upsetting block is a nice little treat. The double-bick design is still new to me, so I'm still exploring all the benefits...

That being said, I'll be completely honest that in a bare bones reality of it all, I'm still very partial to working on Fishers... My 200 pound Fisher Norris is a dream and the difference in rebound between it and my #12 are parallel. I could honestly the same about my little 110 Fisher... If you're just learning and new to the world of blacksmithing, the luxury of a new anvil is a shiny trinket of awesomeness, but in the same breath a conscientious tidbit of truth; I don't feel that it's fair to say that (#12) it's any better than any other anvil, new or used, that I've had the pleasure to move hot metal on... The nooks, crannies, and character of an old beat up anvil can serve you well, and sharp edges can be had with a simple hardy tool or a block of steel from a metal supplier. 

The development of experience and skill is the priceless commodity of the craft... Everything else is a distraction... I tell myself this bit of truth on the daily... sometimes it sticks... sometimes it dosen't... 

@ Judson Yaggy, i have the 460lb rathole and it is soft, it dents very easily, i wish i had spent the money on a reflinghaus.  Maybe my anvil never got heat treated?  I'm thinking none of the ratholes get heat treat since they are h13.  

Well thats a bummer for me.  I'm glad yours is heat treated properly.  If i had known it would be this soft i would have forked over the cash for a Reflinghaus.  I guess the light bulb should have come on when i bought the last 460lber!  Its still a nice tool, just a bit softer than i'd like, i guess i need to make sure i hit the hot steel and not the anvil!  If only i had a big enough heat treating oven and a geyser of water!

It's a tool!  I'm not worried about it, i am happy enough with it, after all they only dent if you miss!  I'm sure if i pushed it he would make it right, but to tell you the truth, i don't have the energy to bother, it doesn't affect my work.  I was just surprised to find out that another fontanini was hard enough to skate a file, he does state on his site " the material will dent but should not chip".   i'll be looking forward to a reflinghaus or a nimba in the future!

Brian

Are the Ozark pattern anvils even being made anymore though? Since Tom died and the school is no longer running. I emailed them a while back and no answer.

Id want a Refflinghaus if I could buy a new anvil, maybe if I could see and test the hardness of the Fontanini before purchasing I would consider it too.

Fontanini may be in a real bad spot after selling some anvils that are soft. I had considered buying one but hearing from even one person that there brand new anvil is overly soft is an absolute stop in consideration. Even one unsatisfied customer can be a huge market kill when your market is as tiny and new anvils in America. Thank you for your opinion of a tool, I will be much more likely to buy a Nimba or Refflinghaus now.

Mackenzie

These are both horrible videos... Shot on my i phone... comparing the Peddinghaus #12 to my beloved #200 Fisher in a 1" Ball Bearing Rebound Test... I know that none of us forge with ball bearings, but I'd consider it to be a very good test in regards to the liveliness and quality of an anvil... I hope this can relay to the general audience fawning over expensive anvils that the newer anvils are quite a luxurious notion and worth their weight, but when it comes down to it, a good anvil can be had for a fraction of the cost. Sharp edges are for squares. :D

http://youtu.be/2pI0ysrVNpE

http://youtu.be/vwOBltTPupc

• 2 weeks later...

All of these responses have been very helpful and informative. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. Still have not bought an anvil yet the nice used ones are a long ways off they cost between 200 and 400 dollars to ship. Once you add that to the price of the anvil you are they are only 200 to 500 dollars less than a new one. Being that close in price guess I would rather have a new one. From what I have read so far I am probably going to get a refflinghaus or peddinghaus leaning toward peddinghaus because of price difference. Really like the helpfulness of the guy selling refflinghaus the place selling the peddinghaus could not tell me where they were made or anything else they just said contact rigid.

Thanks for all the responses I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. Still looking have not bought one yet all the nice used ones I have found are a ways off and cost 200 to 400 dollars to ship. Putting close to the price of a new one.