I Forge Iron

Flexible pipe/hose

Joel OF

Hi folks, what do people typically use as flexible pipe to connect a blower? I need something close to 2 inch diameter, ducting hose was my immediate thought but it seems to be 4 inch minimum. I don't mind tweaking something a little over 2 inches but I'd prefer to start as close to the 2 inch mark as possible to avoid any cuts creating splits that travel up the length of the pipe/hose. Unfortunately my old vacuum cleaner hose was pretty feeble and very thin and I don't really want to restrict air flow. A local car parts shop does 2 inch flexible exhaust pipe but that's £20 a metre and I'm sure I can find something for less.

I'm bracing myself for embarrassment as I'm guessing I've overlooked something obvious as usual!

Any ideas appreciated, cheers!

Cheers. I might have been a little hasty in posting this, just rang the local breakers yard & they said they've got some bits of flexible exhaust knocking about for £5.

Believe it or not I can't actually go to the household dump/recycling site anymore because Kent county council have banned vans from dumps! The last time I went I spotted something useful in a container but a member of staff said no one is allowed to take anything out of a container once it's been put in. Ironic that the council are trying to tackle fly tipping...by not allowing vans in, and not allowing recycling at a recycling site...by stopping people take things they can re-use. Rant over.

Kurgan,

Recycling is treated similarly here as well. Auto salvage yards are under constant threat by do-gooders seeking to prevent people from keeping their car on the road.  

My experience has shown that the green movement is very misguided here in the U.S.  The sad result is that good products and ideas are scuttled while we subsidize sub-par but expedient measures. 

Blacksmithing has exposed me to people making more earnest recycling efforts than I've seen anywhere else.

Well it turns out that flexible exhaust is nothing like I thought it was but I got talking to one of the members of staff and he's gunna give me for free some leftover pipe he bought off eBay for his van. This stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60mm-Warm-Air-Ducting-suitable-EBERSPACHER-heating-WEBASTO-heating-/270894067380?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f128b6eb4

Suitability = promising. Price = perfect. Me = happy. Him = beer on me.

The flexible clothes dryer pipe is a option. I find it in to useful sizes, 3 inch and 4 inch, and have used both. It also comes in expandable metal and plastic with a supporting wire, and have used both with the metal being preferred as it lasts longer. Auto heat ducting is an option as are many industrial materials.

The problem is choosing a pipe *that fits* or is too small dur to the internal air flow turbulence. This reduces the air volume and pressure delicered to the forge.

Using HVAC solid piping would be the preferred method for any stationary forge. It could be used for a portable forge if you leave a couple of the joints loosely connected so they could be separated for transport.   

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the *really* flexible exhaust piping has been banned in some places.  I tend to stock up on it when I find some at the scrap yard to have on hand for future use.

A tip for tip diving: making friends with a member of the staff at such places can be well worth a pint or two!  A number of useful items from "No Removal" sites have come my way because the staff know I am a blacksmith and recycle the stuff with me.  (Our local trash transfer station once gave me all the real wrought iron off a wagon that someone was tired of as a lawn ornament)