I Forge Iron

Anvil.. what should I offer him ?

I'm a new to all of this too, but the anvil seems quite serviceable if you don't mind the damage to the horn. The edges of the face seem nice, without chipping. Not bad at all in my opinion. depends on how much the seller asks for, as to whether or not it is worth it.

Greetings,

This looks like an early English anvil  poss Moushole   Judging by the horn and general overall looks...   I think you will find this is a great collectors anvil and would easly sell for 250

I hope this helps

Jim

Smaller anvils seem to go for higher simply because a lot of folks want that portability that you mention.

Looks like a torch cut on the heel, but the overall condition is very good.  Nice edges, minimal sway in the face plate, good practical weight.....

I wouldn't think twice about offering $2/lb for an anvil in that condition and size.  Even $3/lb isn't necessarily a bad price, and I think you could easily recoup that should you sell the anvil in a year or so.  A lot depends on where you are and how many anvils you're seeing for sale in that area.  Like real estate, location has a lot to do with the price.

It's a legitimate anvil and definitely not an ASO. There are some issues I "see" from the other pictures this individual has up that concern me, and I've actually expressed this to the buyer via email correspondence. Trust me when I say that he/she doesn't really know what it's worth; I got a few numbers out of the conversation, but they were along the lines of someone offering his son $450 for it a year ago... or was it $600??? Some extremely bogus quote from what I remember.

1. It's painted, no matter how much I try to coerce the seller, he won't strip that "nice paint job"...

2. There seems to be a significant gap in the top plate.

3. Torch cuts... errrr

4. There seems to be a huge crack on the waist, just behind the horn in the pic that has the horn facing to the left...

All this could be resolved in a physical inspection and rebound test... So I'd just go there cash in hand... I personally wouldn't offer him anything more than $100 to kick off the haggle, based purely on it's visible condition... Considering "our" regional handicap on anvils, $2 a pound is the norm right off the bat.

I don't think that's a Peter Wright btw.  As someone already suggested maybe a Mousehole.  It took me a long time, but I just paid $250 for a 200 lb PW.  Here is how it looked when I got it.  Notice the difference in footings.

post-34362-0-14716600-1362802727_thumb.j

It's a legitimate anvil and definitely not an ASO. There are some issues I "see" from the other pictures this individual has up that concern me, and I've actually expressed this to the buyer via email correspondence. Trust me when I say that he/she doesn't really know what it's worth; I got a few numbers out of the conversation, but they were along the lines of someone offering his son $450 for it a year ago... or was it $600??? Some extremely bogus quote from what I remember.

1. It's painted, no matter how much I try to coerce the seller, he won't strip that "nice paint job"...

2. There seems to be a significant gap in the top plate.

3. Torch cuts... errrr

4. There seems to be a huge crack on the waist, just behind the horn in the pic that has the horn facing to the left...

All this could be resolved in a physical inspection and rebound test... So I'd just go there cash in hand... I personally wouldn't offer him anything more than $100 to kick off the haggle, based purely on it's visible condition... Considering "our" regional handicap on anvils, $2 a pound is the norm right off the bat.

This is one of the few i have seen within reasonable distance but melbourne is a little too far for me to drive for a 100lb I want to go for it but my little inside voice tells me to hold out on it. My plate is full right now, and I need to invest in some steel I already have a anvil... I just didnt want to send him some ignorant offer like I have before with other pepole.

I always use $1 a pound as a baseline. But as others have said, you pay what YOU can afford. If you can only afford $50 that is what you pay, not $200 because someone else can afford that. If the distance is a factor, add that into the cost, but only pay what you think it is worth to you to own this anvil.

This is one of the few i have seen within reasonable distance but melbourne is a little too far for me to drive for a 100lb I want to go for it but my little inside voice tells me to hold out on it. My plate is full right now, and I need to invest in some steel I already have a anvil... I just didnt want to send him some ignorant offer like I have before with other pepole.

No worries Alex, that's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned... It's all in accordance with seizing the opportunity the instant something presents itself. Florida anvils, to your advantage, are usually smaller 80-100 pound range... Another one will pop up sooner or later...