I Forge Iron

The Manx Anvil Hunt

Being that I am just starting out and do not even have a working forge as yet, I have started my Anvil search.

Already got a few feet of railway track as a backup, went to a local scrap merchant today, best he had was this.....

post-34725-0-38000000-1361995822_thumb.j

He still wants £40 for it though, as something solid to bash metal on it is still ok I suppose, has a good ring to it.

What do you guys think??

Dumb as all get out to pass that by!!

Less than a nothing for a two-horn anvil with a nice sway to the face..  What's the question?  Infinitely serviceable as a general-purpose anvil.

And it looks to be quite old, too.  Could be worth a mint if taken care of until a "collector" comes along!

Even hot knife steel has some bounce back to it.  To straighten you want to go just a little too far so it "bounces back" to dead straight.

I have a dead flat 515# anvil that I walk past to straighten on a slightly swayed 93# anvil.  Of course I've worked with the small anvil for about 30 years now and so it's face's shape is built into my mind.

In negotiations with the scrap yard, all being well I will pick it up tomorrow. 

Well done! I don't see many anvils here that speak to me but that one has been a loyal friend to someone for a long time and perhaps handed down several generations. It's hard to imagine how much iron has passed over that well worn face but it ain't done yet...... B)

Blacksmithing on the Island is indeed a dying thing. There is only one commercial blacksmith over here now.

I do a lot of Metal Detecting, so going to knock up the farmers who have given me permission to search their land and see what is in their barns etc.

Also know of a couple of people who had Blacksmiths as Grandfathers etc so might turn something up there.

I'd spend that money on that anvil even if i would use it just for decoration. It's a beautiful piece of "iron", go for it, and now! Don't let it stay in the dirt.

and, regarding usability, think that it was successfully used in that condition for quiet a lot

I believe you when you say that it does, but I still don't understand why it does.

Ok Captian, I don't have any problem with your maniacal mug so here's a hint; turn the drawing upside down and think of the fulcrum as the hammer in motion and load/effort as the high points at each end of the face of the anvil........ :D

post-15096-0-27968100-1362146132_thumb.j

Do not obsess over those curves... they are rather beautiful!  I am sure that if you spend enough time with it you'll come to LOVE that shapely beauty!  I am reminded of an old song that goes something like this:  "Lucky man, Lucky man, What a LUCKY man he is!"  Drop those rulers!  Think artistically... not like an engineering student!  < Advice from one who has been both.