I Forge Iron

what epoxy do you use?

knifedude1999

JB Weld works nice, however there are many binary type epoxies out there.  Some in a syringe, some in tubes and such. Even gorilla glue makes an epoxy.   Most will work well with a knife if constructed properly.  Can't hurt to stick at least 1 pin in it though, right ?   There are even marine type epoxies out there that one would have to research more, if that sort of strength is necessary.   I've even seen a friend use plumbers goop used on one occasion, when he had an unusually glue/epoxy resistant unknown plastic scales that wouldn't stick to the metal.  The goop is still holding up great, hadn't budged at all with no pins in place.

JB weld and a pin or two if for heavy use, has worked well for me.  Even some super glue works on occasion.   If you are new at knife making, other than the standard do this, that and learn it all, I'd add that any epoxy you can find at your local hardware store will be adequate for starting out with.

-bruno

I've been using Loctite 5min for years.  Some folks say that the fast stuff will not hold over time but that hasn't been the case.  I've got some early blades that have been left in my shop floor (every time it rains water runs through there).  The blades are rusted but the grips are still holding well.  The drawback is you have to work fast.  I've tried the slower stuff and it never worked correctly.

Dude it would really help you to look in the knife making classes in the forum. We have covered a lot of the very things you need to make blades,,We started with real basics using real low tech tooling. and took this up as we moved along.

We do the knife chats in the chat room at ten pm EST. And for folks that cannot be here the chat log is posted in forum later.

As Steve said we did cover epoxies. And one item to share with you now is that none of the quick set epoxies hold up well for long term. And I have used E 6000 for home items. It is not a two part epoxy and I would be reluctant to try it on a knife.

There is a lot of information in those lessons. WIll get you started, And you may wish to print and make a pamplet for quick reference if you like. Bruno suggested J B weld,,,,I would use that with no hesitations at all. Also there is a lot of folks like Acraglass, gun bedding compound. I use wot I listed in the classes for two reasons. One, it works for longer than I may ever know,. and the other it washes off my hands with water.