I Forge Iron

first guillotine

Made my first guillotine today found some 5/8 flange about 5 in wide cut 3- 3x4 in pieces out of it and 2- 1x4in pieces. Ground the 2 1x4s with a slight taper on one side then deep welded it up and did the same with the 3x4s and the last 3x4 i welded some 1x1 angle iron about 4 in long on it and did a lot of grinding to make it the die i wanted. One problem that i hadnt thought of was its made of mild steel though as long as i hit hot metal it shouldnt be a problem to me. will be finding out exactly what size square tubing i need for my hardie hole. post-25950-0-28522400-1360703384_thumb.j post-25950-0-57147500-1360703393_thumb.j post-25950-0-69216400-1360703400_thumb.j post-25950-0-55773700-1360703410_thumb.j

any way thanks for looking. critics welcome as this is likely not gonna be my only one made

royce

Looks fine. Work it over good and you'll know fo sure.

I welded mine on a wide, flat base and welded my hardy shank to the end of the base. This way it sits fully on the face of the anvil and the hardy just stabilizes it.

I just used a piece of 1" angle for the shank, since there's no downward force on the shank itself.

Forge a piece of stock that will fit the hardie hole on the diagonal, then weld that to the base of your tool. Plenty of clearance for the weld on each side of this piece then when it is welded in situ.

I like the finished tool positioned at 45 degrees so it is easy to access the working parts across the anvil's face