I Forge Iron

Forged 5160 knife

Taylor Made

Thought I would share a few pics of the latest blade I finished.  It is hand forged 5160 steel.  It is 11 1/2" total length.  Blade is 6" long and 2" wide. About 5/32 thick.  Handle is 5 1/2" long.  Knife was done all by hand.  Forged, draw filed, hand sanded up to 2500 grit.  I left a few forging marks in the blade to give it a little character.  It has a convex cutting edge that cuts really good.  Handle is stabilized bone scales pinned with 3/32 304 SS pins.  It has black vulcanized liners.  Bone scales hand rubbed down to 1000 grit for a real smooth finish. Sheath is 6/7 oz leather.  Pouch style sheath, hand sewn.  Full welt that his been burnished and finished with Fiebing brown edge coat.  Sheath is natural veg tan finished with neatsfoot oil and a top coat of mink oil.  No dye or tooling on this one.  I really like the way this knife turned out.  I hope you guys like it too!

post-28430-0-27040400-1358044418_thumb.j

post-28430-0-51167200-1358044427_thumb.j

post-28430-0-62539900-1358044435_thumb.j

post-28430-0-59543700-1358044440_thumb.j

That's a fine looking blade and sheath. I'm looking forward to building me a new one when I get some time off from work. Just don't have much time when you work 6 and 7 days a week 10 hours a day and driving 1.5 hours each way per day.

Scott

That's a fine looking blade and sheath. I'm looking forward to building me a new one when I get some time off from work. Just don't have much time when you work 6 and 7 days a week 10 hours a day and driving 1.5 hours each way per day.

Scott

Thanks Scott!  Yeah I know what you mean about working all the time.  I used to work about 90 to 100 hrs a week a few years ago and man it about killed me.  I did it for 6 months straight without a day off!  I am sure it took a toll on me!  Hard to find time for family and anything else for that matter when you work all the time.  Life is too short to spend all your tiime on the clock.  Hope you get some time off!