I Forge Iron

Aesthetically Ugly, Functionally Beautiful Tongs.

Ridgewayforge

These look horrid, but they work. And, they're my first tongs. 1/2" Round as starting material, a little light, but the tongs are for 3/16"  and under.

I open it up for the cannon fodder, please, tear it to shreds if you want, offer suggestions. I want to improve, and I know they are wretched. I had to start somewhere, so why not at horrible and work my way up to great or masterful. These tongs represent a leap of faith for me. Before these I had always been afraid of failure and wanted to make my work masterfully done and beautiful. I did not give myself any opportunities to fail, which made me easily frustrated. But today, I am happy with these tongs. Yes, they're ugly. Yes, I can do better. But I started. And now I can make tongs better than I did when I made these, my first pair.

Without further ado, AUFB (Aesthetically ugly, functionally beautiful) pair of tongs!

post-24020-0-96042700-1357443876_thumb.jpost-24020-0-36646900-1357443899_thumb.jpost-24020-0-40369100-1357443908_thumb.jpost-24020-0-16719300-1357443920_thumb.j

Functionality is by far the most important thing. My first attempts at tongs were far worse. It wasn't until my third or fourth attempt that I actually made a useable pair.

I think if you cut the excess off the long rein so the match up they would look better.

The pin is obviously just a piece of what ever you had lying about (just like what everyone else does)

I think it was just a bit too long, hence why it curved over like that. If you cut it out and use a shorter pin, it would look a bit more like it.

Other than that, I'd grind any sharp points off the reins so they are more comfy and just crack on with them. The main thing is that they work!

All the best

good first try....next time think of this......the jaw and the rein are on opposite sides of the hinge point. It just looks like you were anxious to get them together, a little more work and you could straighten them out pretty good

Good job.  If you don't allow for failure, you can't grow from your mistakes.  The tongs work, and you made them by your own hand.  That's a success.

One key detail that a lot of people forget is that the area around the rivet should be the thickest part and everything else narrows away from it.  Starting out with half-inch stock makes for a small set of tongs, but certainly very useable tongs.  Ya did good!

I heard a story once that I think was true, unfortunately I do not remember the source. Anyhow a school decided to do an experiment I think in the art department. they tooks a gruop of students and told them they would be graded only on the quality of their work. As you would expect they were extra careful, doing fairly good work, but not much of it at all. They took another group of students and told them that they would be graded on quanitity of work formost and quality would be secondary. They naturaly produced much more with their finishing peices much nicer than the ones produced by the quallity students. I try to work this way in much of what I do, getting something done is much better than only having a better idea that I never try or never finish because it is not perfect.

I have a lot of tongs that some here would not want to let anyone see in their shop, it is only a tool I use to produe the products I sell. I understand the idea that your tools may reflect on the work you will do for your clients. (I just do not believe it is nessisarily true when we are talking about beautifull tools.)  I do believe the tools need to work right to produce good results for my clients.

One thing that I think could improve your tongs is to make sure the item you hold in them is in line with the center of the riengs. This is only a generallity as there are times when you do not want it so. Anyhow you made some tongs now just make  50 or so more and I bet they start to look pretty good.  

I certainly plan on giving it another go tomorrow. I have written down a few notes after scrutinizing other quality work and watching quality youtube videos. Here are my observations:

The line back of the tongs, which is opposite of the inside of the boss, should be kept flat. Also, the area from the boss to the reigns must be flat, with clear steps to the bit and the reigns. These are made at coordinating 45 degree angles, which slant towards the cooresponding jaw tong.

The bit and the Reins are on opposite sides of the boss.

Rough forge the whole tong blank, then refine/finish. (this is from Brian Brazeal's video.)

The Boss should be kept amply thich.

I will admit, I finished up these tongs in a hurry, and did not set out with a clear plan. Now I have diagrams and will begin anew tomorrow!

I am going to do things right this time, and rivet properly. I have another bolt which works better, it has the head already attached. We'll see how it goes! That is tomorrow's goal: Make tongs which function and look better than this pair.

If I do that, it will be a success!

I am not much better on the tongs, but I found that practicing with clay really helped me when I was at the forge to create the boss and jaws properly. I suggest studying Brian B's clay blank or one heat tong videos. That really helped me when I was attempting my first pair. At least now I can get them to look similar. Now if I can just get the forge weld part down for the reigns. 

you need to shorten up your boss that will help a lot. already see improvement. some times I just do one step and cut it off and do it again. then once I feel I got it i add in the next step cut off and do it again soon you will have it. Think tight http://www.anvilfire.com/bookrev/ind_pres/tongs_chart.htm look at the bosses on this chart for the size stock you are trying to hold hope this helps

IThis is the method I used for my first few set of flat jaw tongs, and it works quite well:

http://books.google.com/books?id=zg4LAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Go to page 120. I used 9/16 round stock for my first few (I think I've made four, but only two of them are really useable). 1/2" square should make decent tongs to hold 1/4 to 1/2 inch stock, but you'll definitely want bulkier tongs for hardy tooling or other large stock. Apropos, I got my first nice burn a couple days ago when a red hot bottom swage fell out of my too-dinky tongs and landed on my hand. OUCH! Better tongs have been on my mind since...

• 2 weeks later...