I Forge Iron

One Heat Tong Blank

brianbrazealblacksmith

Here's another one heat video. This is a tong blank like I saw Bob Patrick do several years ago at Tom Clark's school. This is one of the best forging exercises that you can do. Once you get the steps down, anyone can do it in one heat. Everyone I've seen try it can do it in a heat before they've done ten of them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/brianbrazealblacksmith/TongBlank#

Brian, love the video. Could you tell me the brand/weight of the hammer and the diameter of the stock.
Thanks for posting it. I love the profile of the hammer peen.

That is what I call a fullering hammer. It weighs 3 pounds, and I made that hammer. The stock I used for the tong blank was 13/16" round, but you can use other sizes. Round stock is the best choice to start with. I would have rather used 5/8" or 3/4", but I didn't have any on hand.

That is what I call a fullering hammer. It weighs 3 pounds, and I made that hammer. The stock I used for the tong blank was 13/16" round, but you can use other sizes. Round stock is the best choice to start with. I would have rather used 5/8" or 3/4", but I didn't have any on hand.

Nice hammer Brian, real nice.

Back when I hand forged tongs, I got in the habit of drawing the reins first. Ya start with about 16" of stock so you don't need tongs to hold it. Fuller back at 5" and draw one rein, swap ends and draw the other. Cut apart in the middle and then do like Brian is showing.

I am both impressed and amused by the measured pace of your work. Very nice video, thank you for sharing.

Could you post a general set of dimensions to go along with the separate steps.

Phil

I should have used clay. Karen said she'd help me take another video tomorrow. The dimensions are determined by the hammer blows and the profile of tong you're after. I'll slow it down with clay tomorrow and you'll be able to see as I go through it.