I Forge Iron

It never gets old! Crazy anvil seller thread

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you were the owner and you were looking to sell what would your asking price be? I think we all agree it is what he says it is and you will never see another like any time soon.

It's hard to answer that without knowing how much he has tied up in it.    Some people try to hit lottery home runs with everything they sell and others are satisfied with a reasonable return, especially if it gets flipped quickly.  Case in point, I used to know a fellow who collected guns and generated a six-figure income (mostly cash) just from that side business.  He was always happy to flip anything for 20-40% because his philosophy was to quickly make back the investment plus a reasonable markup and never hold much inventory.  He said a gun could make the rounds among various dealers at a show and start out as a good buy but a few deals later, someone was going to get stuck and end up having to carry it because the price had risen to excessive levels.  I once saw him buy a cased Colt 1849 revolver for $1800 at a pawn shop and sell it two days later for $2300, even though "market price" was around $2500 at that time.  The dealer who bought it was still carrying several weeks later in another gun show we attended, with a price tag of $2500.

With regard to this anvil, buying it for $1000 and selling for $2000 would be a good transaction for me, regardless of the so-called market value.

BTW, I once saw a pristine 250 lb PW that appeared to have never been touched with a hammer so they are still out there from time to time.  That one belonged to a hobby smith who put it into dry storage because he didn't want to work on it and possibly cause any damage.

I'd look at the price per pound for something like a new NIMBA anvil and apply that. Of course "never been used" doesn't add anything for me over "Great using quality".

I buy anvils to use them not to worship them. Anvilatry??

Nothing sadder than a never used anvil!

The foot flats are clearly visible in the first picture.

Nice looking anvil, but most of the heavier old anvils that I've seen look pretty good.

When I was looking for my current anvil (early 1800s 153lb Mousehole), the guy who was selling it was asking $1200. So silly me wanted the thing and offered him $600 for it. When he countered with $700, I accepted. Here's a gallery of the anvil. I'll be cleaning it up with a grinder soon, as recommended by many

I'm happy with it, except the corners are too rounded for many things, and I'm scared to use a Mousehole anvil's hardy hole to upset an anvil block for the edges. As well, the face is a bit soft, giving around 60% rebound, and goes from slightly concave near the horn to quite a bit convex around the hardy hole . Dunno what it is with the rebound, because my Trenton only gave about 65%. Maybe I just get bad copies.

I'll be cleaning it up with a grinder soon, as recommended by many here:

don't grind on it.

you should probably start your own thread.

I am moviong this on to ANVILS section, you do realise this was in the tailgating section and no thread lasts more than 30 days there,   :)

Found another great anvil deal: Stopped by my local Western Antique shop today, and walked down the aisle only to see a nice smooth 150lb Fisher with a few chips on the edges from the 40s. The anvil was sitting atop a polished Beau d'Arc stump with a number of tongs hung round it. Excited, I walk over and take a look at the price tag: $1300. That's one expensive Beau d'Arc stump.

I was able to talk to the guy who put it on consignment, and he wasn't willing to part with just the anvil. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, he had too much tied up in it.

Fatfudd, that peter right is a beauty, though I still wouldn't spend that much on it.

I have never paid more than $1200 for an anvil.  I have owned some very neat and large anvils too.  If I were to drop big bucks it would be on a new anvil either a Refflinghouse or a Fontanini.  But that Peter Wright is special sort of like a white whale, but also burden to own i doubt anyone who would buy it would use it.  I'm sure it if were well photographed and listed on eBay it would at least $3000 probably more.  If anyone bought that anvil and used they are a fool.     If I came across that particular anvil I would try to get as much for it as I could. If I could not get what I felt it was worth I would eventualy find a museum or collector who would display and preserve it properly.    As a working smith I have never exactly been rolling in dough. 

Macbruce, I wouldn't spend that much either, I was just saying it seems like a better deal when you can also get a stand with it. My budget keeps me in the $1.50/lb or less range.

Mine was more or less a general statement and shouldn't have quoted yours. I think the new anvils are great and can't fathom why any working smith would ever pay collector prices for an anvil that is to be pressed into service. Seems odd to me the anvil (that is the subject of this thread)is only offered in CL in a relativly obscure location. Ebay would be my first choice.

I think we are seeing a *lot* of collector's prices---often applied to anvils that are not "collectable" by clueless sellers who don't know *why* certain anvils go extremely high. However just as we advise folks not to try bottom fishing in the commodities markets I'd avdise folks *not* to try "top fishing" in the anvil market!

I actually think that there is an "anvil bubble" brought on by e-bay and sad to say "Anvils in America". E-bay as it puts the collectors prices out in front of everybody and AinA because suddenly the *make* and *age* have become important. In not too much earlier times Anvils were generally seen as "excellent, good, fair or poor" primarily based on condition and sold as a tool rather than "an investment", "antique", "rare", etc. Some of us still look at them that way---what is important to me is not that my Powell anvil is a rare one---but that it's *face* is thick, hard and smooth. My fisher doesn't have pride of place in the shop because it's from a blacker powerhammer but because it's *quiet*, *massive* and it's *face* is thick, hard and smooth.

Currently my most expensive anvil is my 515# Fisher in excellent condition. I paid $350 for it in the mid 1990's
Last anvil I paid strictly cash for was a 112# PW in beautiful condition for $150---last year. Cheapest anvil was one that I was given---and I passed it on at the same price to someone who needed it!

Thats a collectors piece, its a unicorn anvil..You have about as much chance of find another never used pristine #500 PW as you do finding a unicorn..If I were king and had plenty of money Id buy it and display it in my shop..The right seller on ebay could easily get 4K plus out of it..

Everyone needs to remember that Sevierville is right by the Great Smokey Mountains...one of the most visited national parks in America.  There are a lot of folks there on vacation trying to reconnect with their humble beginnings, and they bring their plump wallets with them.  My family is from that neck of the woods (my mom & dad & my wife), and when I first looked into blacksmithing 20 years ago, run of the mill anvils were fetching $3 a pound at junk stores near the smokeys.  I couldn't believe it.  Some Big Orange Volunteer with a law degree or MD will go home to visit his kin, and he won't blink at the price...it's just bragging rights to him.  What's worse is he won't pay $10 a pound...he'll just wave a wad of cash under the guy's nose and pay $6 or 7 a pound, and we'll all hate him for it.