I Forge Iron

It never gets old! Crazy anvil seller thread

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this anvil is basically brand new. . .   So what would a brand new one of these go for if you wanted to buy one in a shop? ?   The price is crazy, but better than store bought price!!

Just to put some emphasis on how much collectors are willing to drive the cost of anvils check this out-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190771631938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This auction was may have been driven by collectors( I really don't know that for sure). However if you consider that Centaur Forge only had Kohlswa make them anvils for a short time and some of those were too soft so they stopped importing them.

If your argument is that its cheaper than a new one  well  that doesn't work since this anvil went for $1250+  with shipping.  - http://www.nimbaanvils.com/titan.php

If you look at really nice old anvils check out Matchless antiques on Ebay heres an example-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-150-lb-KOHLSWA-CAST-STEEL-SWEDISH-ANVIL-Blacksmith-Forge-/110960894576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5c8e270

I first posted this in the "True Prices of Anvils" thread but it bears repeating here.  Originally posted mid 2012.

"Something someone said on another thread got me curious about average NEW anvil prices in the USA. I did a bunch of googling last night and an unscientific survey of prices on various retail websites yielded between $5 and $8 per pound. I guessed at and included between $200 to $500 in shipping depending on size. Looked at Nimba, Fontanini, TFS, Old World, Refflinghaus, Peddinghaus, and one or two others that I'm forgetting right now. TFS was on the lower end, Refflinghaus on the upper. Draw your own conclusions about quality, the only new anvil I've ever used is my Fontanini and it's GREAT!"

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures taken today of the anvil for sale in Sevierville, TN at the beginning of this post. It is at an antique shop. The anvil appears to be professionally repaired (weld filled) and dressed very nicely, but not N.O.S. The seller's bottom line is $4,000 for the anvil. It is marked 4  1  16 , so 492 lb. by marking. He also has a very large block that does appear to be N.O.S., asking $2,500, probably 500 lb. range. Sorry, didn't take dimensions, but bit & brace for size reference. Enjoy

post-19449-0-57967800-1357598137_thumb.j

post-19449-0-02693400-1357598160_thumb.j

post-19449-0-00403300-1357598185_thumb.j

post-19449-0-72727200-1357598212_thumb.j

post-19449-0-78588300-1357598292_thumb.j

Found this today while Ebaying, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Saw-Leveling-Anvil-/181057944028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a27e4f9dc

The guy wants $2500 as a starting bit for a saw straightening anvil, its just a block, no horn or anything other then a rectangular block.......

Think i saw a similar item for sale last week for only $600 that didnt sell, dont know if the guy thinks it will sell better now with higher price?

Here are some pictures taken today of the anvil for sale in Sevierville, TN at the beginning of this post. It is at an antique shop. The anvil appears to be professionally repaired (weld filled) and dressed very nicely, but not N.O.S. The seller's bottom line is $4,000 for the anvil. It is marked 4  1  16 , so 492 lb. by marking. He also has a very large block that does appear to be N.O.S., asking $2,500, probably 500 lb. range. Sorry, didn't take dimensions, but bit & brace for size reference. Enjoy

How can you tell it has been weld repaired?  It just looks corroded and cleaned up.

As to why weld on a base---cost of materials!  Remember even in ACW days high carbon steel could cost 5 times that of wrought iron so there was a *reason* they used to make WI bodies and weld a thin layer of HC on top!

A bit more modern they had more difficulty casting a good high C chunk without forging to decrease grain size; anyway the factory figured out it was cheaper to do a 2 piece and weld them together at that time and place and so they did so.

How can you tell it has been weld repaired?  It just looks corroded and cleaned up.

It does look good, but the new looking smooth edges of the face and top of the sides do not match the pitting or use marks in the center of the face, cutting table, and horn. I could make out where new material joins the original wrought iron in places. That's my opinion, I understand opinions vary.

I made the post to provide more information about the Craigslist ad referred to at the start of this post for a large "new old stock never used" Peter Wright anvil. Probably best for anyone else considering buying it to go see it in person and decide for themselves, too. Whether it is new unused or not can have a lot to do with value.