I Forge Iron

What is it ?

I'm thinking cobbler's bench. There were a lot of different styles, some simple like this, some with buit in tool boxes, etc.
Is the stake anvil removable? If it is for cobbling, it may be swappable for a cobbler's last for stiching soles, or this could have been set up for riveting, with a larger bench used for holding the lasts that would have had a lot more provisions for holding tools, etc. In a busy shop it would make sense to have a dedicated bench for riveting, just like some blacksmith shops had a dedicated nail making station, etc.
There are also saddler's benches, but they tend to be much larger and more complicated than this appears to be.

• 2 weeks later...

This turned up on Craigslist, described as a "blacksmith's bench". I tend to doubt that, but I wonder what that little spike anvil would be used for.

Any ideas ?

3Ib3Nc3Hf5G85K55S1camed29a54d8ec61e18.jp

I've seen one bench like this that was used by my Great grandfather's family for of all things straightening nails taken from salvaged lumber! Even in the 1950s when I was just a pup it was very common to "Salvage" buildings to build new structures, A building would be pulled apart board by board the nails would be pulled and tossed into buckets,boxes etc. and it was the job of the youngsters or in some cases the woman to sit at a bench like this and straighten and sort nails by sizes. I sat at Grangpa's bench almost identical to this one and straightened more than a few nails when I would visit his farm almost his entire farm was built from reclaimed buildings. From talking to other old timers this was a common item and common practice well into the 1950s around here. I know as late as the 1970s a bunch of farm buildings in my area were "reclaimed " from other structures this way. Part of the old farm house I live in now was built this way as well as the 2 outbuildings on the land 2 other buildings long torn down were reclaimed lumber as well. depression era people were very frugal and here hundreds of pounds of "good nails" were straightened and sorted at a bench just like this!

WOW !!  That makes excellent good sense.

When you consider that, prior to around 1800, all nails were made by hand and thus were expensive (and even after the "cut nail" took over, THOSE were relatively expensive), it justifies the cost of a specialized bench like that. 

If it wasn't 120 miles away, I'd go buy it, just for the "I have one, you don't" thing.

Sounds like it might have been a bench for a specific purpose at first.  I heard Cobbler, Saddle making and leather in general.   Perhaps it was available or maybe seen in use by someone in it's original purpose and form.  THen someone needed to straighten nails and said why not use the cobblers bench.   And then someone got into leather work and said use the cobblers bench...  Depression era / fruggle people in general would use whatever they had for whatever they needed.