I Forge Iron

My First Spoon

JJordan

So this is my first spoon. All advice on form and function is welcome. I am looking for some feedback also on what to tell someone if they wish to use it as it was intended to . Basically how would a someone care for it in their home. how to prevent rust and the sort. if it was a show piece then I would recommend the usually like bees wax etc... But for a spoon what would you do? I know there are food grade oils for cutting boards and counter tops, would these work on bare steel? any Feedback would be good. thanks in advance.

Would like t thank crossed heart forge for the idea I tried t make it my own.

post-22671-0-87333800-1352085000_thumb.j

post-22671-0-79654300-1352085004_thumb.j

post-22671-0-09839000-1352085008_thumb.j

post-22671-0-37192000-1352085012_thumb.j

post-22671-0-79741200-1352085015_thumb.j

Ayup, nice piece of spoonishness. Season like cast iron, or apply paraffin wax or spray Olive oil Pam hot. The down side to using Pam is olive oil takes a little time to cure so it may be tacky for a while. Done at the right heat and it cures fairly quickly but it IS a spray so it'll get around. Maybe just olive oil on a paper towel is a better choice.

I like to cure toasting forks by toasting something tasty like bacon. Mmmmmmm, bacon.

Frosty The Lucky.

JJ, just use it in the kitchen. If it's something that only gets brought out once in a while then rub a bit of cooking oil over it and give it a wash in hot soapy water before use. If it get's regular use, don't bother as cooking oils and natural fats in the food you stir/serve will preserve the metal. I have a spoon I made from coil spring that hangs from a ladder in our kitchen and hardly ever gets used anymore. It doesn't rust and we live in the semi-tropics

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...