I Forge Iron

Do I have to use 2 inch pipe for a brake drum forge?

LearningToForge

I saw on some video where the guy made a brake drum forge from a brake drum :) and the flange he used was 2 inch black iron pipe. But here's my problem. First, it took me forever to find a 2in flange and I had to go out of county to get it. Second, I didn't have the money for the pipe, so now I can't get that. My question is do you have to use two inch pipe? They sell black iron in 1 1/4 or less at homedepot and lowes and I can get that all day. Thanks.

Have you visited your local steel place? When I was redoing my forge I bought 36" of 3" square tubing for like $6 and I don't know if it's the case everywhere but my local steel place is cheaper on round than square.

Of course I had access to a torch and welder to cut and weld it all together. Although some places like the local hardware store here will thread the pipe for you.

I used 1 1/2 inch. It makes the blast faster, which means you need a deeper fire. When I went to a single 1/2 inch bar for a grate it helped since the blast was less restricted than with a sewer grate.

I am building a bigger forge with a 3 inch thinwall steel post from a clothsline as a tue. If you can weld the material choices available become more or less unlimited!

Phil

Auto exhaust is about 2 inch to 3 and even 4 inch dia. My brake drum forge uses 3 inch black iron with 2 each 3/8 bolts welded across the opening for a grate. It moves a lot of air to the fuel so you do not need a lot of pressure.

My coal forge uses 4" exhaust pipe below the fire grate. I cut and welded a length of 2" exhaust pipe at 90* abut 2/3 up from the ash gate for the supply from my blower. The ash gate is a 4" flapper cap like you see on trucks, upside down on the bottom. I welded a longish arm to it and welded a little weight on the end to balance it so it closes itself. When I want to dump the ashes I just reach under with the tongs or coal rake or whatever's handy and lift the counter weight arm. OR if I get a little flammable gas build up and it POPS(YIKES!!!) the flapper opens itself, the ash gets fired into the ash bucket and there's no harm done. . . Well it IS fun to see the look on a beginner's face the first time it pops. <grin>

Anyway, Unless there's something really wrong the air supply isn't going to get very hot so you could use a soup can if that's all you can get. Of course there's nothing wrong with asking directions, a good answer is so much better than reinventing the wheel.

Frosty The Lucky.

I tend to source components from a scrapyard or from a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Bought my 2" nipples and Ts for a couple of dollars apiece at the ReStore---unused. (prices tend to vary wildly at the ReStores I have visited, some stuff priced for more than new prices; some for giveaway prices. I visit when I can and hunt for the latter stuff)

One of the problems posting such videos is people get hung up on how it it was done on the video and so start spending lots of money to try to replicate that set up when it originally may have been just what the original builder had handy on their scrap pile...

Notice the range of suggestions: smaller pipe, car exhaust, sq tubing, used/ReStore components---my standard refrain when I teach is "There is only *ONE* correct way to do Blacksmithing---and that is "ANY WAY THAT WORKS!"

Thomas you and I shop at the same place the re store is an awesome place to pick up cheep extras one needs , Learning to forge , glade to see you added your location you are about 6 hrs from me by I 75 that is . building a simple forge here in the south means using what we find and can get cheep as I know that is what you are probably doing just remember do it safely !

Sam

• 5 weeks later...

I'm trying to build a forge. I am using stuff I have dug out of scrap in my own yard (My wife and I inherited her grandparent's house and land). There is a lot of junk around here, plus an old transit box like they ship stuff on cargo ships and trains. it's one of the smaller ones. We got it open and cleared out a bunch of rusted and rotted stuff that was just trash. But did find some interesting things. Firstly was a (sadly) rough condition Mousehole anvil from the 1830's era, It's about 160#. The other was a Champion spiral gear blower. I had been curious about forging and these really set the urge in gear. I looked up home-made forges online and saw several were made from truck brake drums. I didn't haave a truck brake drum handy, but remembered seeing a brake-drum from a house trailer out back. I dug it out... it was about 14" diameter. And the great thing... I didn't have to weld a plate onto the bottom. It has a built in hub. The hub opening... is a perfect fit for 2" black pipe... which I got free from the scraps at the Fire Protection company I work for. I haven't gotten it into the metal table that I have sitting out in the shed/shop yet. just have it set up on blocks. I'm using a small wet/dry vac for a blower and a pvc ballvalve with a 1/2" hole drilled into the side in-line with the vacuum hose for regulating air volume (the valve came from the pile of pipe and fittings out back... Papa used to have a plumbing/septic tank business). I have fired it up twice using coal given to me by one of the power plants I have worked on the fire protection systems at. So far my total monetary investment... $0.00.

Oh... btw... the first time I fired it up... on about the third time I heated the piece of 1/2" bar stock i was beating on and playing with... I left it in a little longer than I had the first couple... burned/melted away three inches off the end of it... Lesson #1... keep an eye on your work. LOL

PS. I'm gonna see if I can upload a couple pics I have of my forge components before I got them put together.

http://i858.photobuc.../Forgebits1.jpg

http://i858.photobuc.../Forgebits2.jpg

Later when I get over my cold I will see about getting some pics of the temporary setup and the table I plan to use, as well as several pieces of railroad track I picked up.

Try not to over think it I myself use 4" square tube to make my fire pots. If you can weld you do not need to use threaded pipe. The second thing you are in Ga. there is a great blacksmithing Association there is your best resource http://alexbealer.org/ you should be able to connect with at least one smith who will point you in the right direction and help.