I Forge Iron

What would you pay based in this picture?

Found this anvil on a local auction website. Auction isn't until later this week so I was trying to get an idea of what type and how much this might be worth. I'm a have yet to do any real blacksmithing (still building my gas forge) and looking for something to start off with. What do you think?

6430ED0E-53B6-45B3-8BE8-3F304F8764B3-114

I built this one out if some scrap track I found. Built it just cause I was board and wanted something to play with after I got my forge built.

B1076551-94ED-4B95-B312-7366E5BFD12A-114

F042CA93-E946-4725-9A70-92BC1B40C86D-114

77C95E2F-710E-4BD2-A730-36DD51EA4391-114

And here is the forge I'm working on. Forgot to add the door when I measured the first burner out. Might have to move it foward.

AEB2E1D8-DBEB-4225-A917-22ACD510877F-114

I averaged $1 a pound for all of my anvils. With that being said it will come down to what can you afford? If you can afford 50 cents a pound , that is what you bid. If you can afford $3 a pound and really want it, that is what you bid. Never pay more than you can afford-unlike congress.

I averaged $1 a pound for all of my anvils. With that being said it will come down to what can you afford? If you can afford 50 cents a pound , that is what you bid. If you can afford $3 a pound and really want it, that is what you bid. Never pay more than you can afford-unlike congress.

AMAN !

Any markings on the anvil? Do you know the weight and its dimensions? Looks to be in good condition.

I won't get to see it in person until Thursday and this is the only picture on their website. What kind of rebound should I be looking for? It appears to be at least 100#. I'm hoping anyway lol

With more information I would go $2/lb, maybe. Definately $1/lb or more. I don't need an anvil though, so I would not be willing to pay $3-$3.50/lb even if it was worth it.

That piece of track is pretty sweet too! Nice job. Gonna need a serious base to put it on, fastened down well and fastened to the ground to get full value out of it though.

Welcome Aboard! Planet Earth is a big place, and value for tools varies considerably depending on where you are. IFI is also represented world wide. How about putting in some location information into your profile?

Phil

I'll put my location after the auction lol JK

I'll get it update when I get in my computer. I've been doing all this from my phone so it's not the easiest.

As for my track anvil base, I've got a big stump of pecan from a tree that fell during a storm we had this spring. Not sure if pecan is the right kind, but its what I got lol

Pecan is good. It is sold as hickory (and Hickory as pecan) because it is very difficult to tell pecan and hickory apart after it is planked out.

The hard part about a stump is if it is not burried in the dirt, it is pretty hard to fasten to the ground. That said, I use a movable stump of unknown hardwood under my 168# Trenton. When it wears out, won't sit flat or splits the rest of the way I will make a tripod base for the anvil.

Phil

I just sold an 80lb PW in not as good shape as that one for $390 and the guy was real happy....me too for that matter.... ^_^
If I needed that anvil and had the money I'd go as high as $4pp cause you can do a lotta lookin' for one that nice and not turn up squat....... ;)

That is a very nice anvil bid as much as you feel like spending you wont go wrong buying it. 3 bucks a pound is not too much to spend. I'm guessing it is a Hay Budden in the 250 to 300 range I have seen anvils like that go for 1500 bucks. Even if you over pay you still wound up with a very nice anvil that will out last you unlike everything else you own.

Looks like a Trenton around 100 lb., can bring $300-$400 at auction these days, particularly with the edges still pretty good like that. If you really want it, go for it, but don't catch auction fever and go too high. There will be another anvil available soon enough if you keep looking..

It is a Hay-Budden, you can see the arch pattern of the letters in the photo, even if you can't make them out. Any dealer in my neck of the woods (Carolinas) would demand $3-5/lb for one in that condition, as they don't show up often. Auctions tend to run high, more so when the bidding fever gets whipped up. Still half the price of a new anvil.

Let us know what it goes for, even if you miss out.

I noticed the arch on the side as well so I was thinking HB. I'm hoping its a Hay Budden after some of the reading I've done. But I wouldn't mind a Trenton either. I'm going to try and get this one. It's just too nice to pass up. My dad said these anvils usually only bring 100 or so at the auctions around here, hopefully I can steal it.

Note that all prices have been give in dollars---should we have specified Peso's, Euro's, Rand, Rupees,...? Mentioning even what COUNTRY you are in in this World Wide Web can help.

Even in the USA there are location differences: I would expect such an anvil to go for about twice as much where I live now than where I used to live.

As for rebound you might get a 1" ball bearing and print out the rebound test results over at anvilfire and get an idea when you go look at it. They are a unitless value and so doesn't matter if you are using metric or "english" measurements.

Looks like a Trenton around 100 lb., can bring $300-$400 at auction these days, particularly with the edges still pretty good like that. If you really want it, go for it, but don't catch auction fever and go too high. There will be another anvil available soon enough if you keep looking..

Them edges again. Most seem to believe that them nice edges are no indication of anvil condition. Notice that I wasn't the one who said that, this time.

The anvil dealer here sells used anvils all day,every day at 3-4.00 per pound.