I Forge Iron

Hey guys, I'm 14 and looking to start blacksmithing

RitchieG

Hey guys, I'm new here and just starting my journey on the road of blacksmithing :D

I will be setting up my home made forge soon (complete with 3 bike pumps for air supply XD) and will be getting an anvil for cheap soon. Can't wait to start smithing. I think I'm gonna start with something fairly simple, such as a dagger. I'm going to be using a piece of 02 steel, 'cos I've heard that it's a fairly easy steel to work with.

Thanks, Ritchie.

May I strongly suggest that you find your local smithing organization and attend some meetings.

Starting with a knife is rather like telling us "I've never driven a car before so I thought I would start with something simple like entering a NASCAR race". Knifemaking is more the college level of smithing.

O2 will be a relatively expensive steel to try to learn hammer control, tapering, temperature control, heat treating, leaving a smooth surface, etc.

Learn the basics first---it's actually the *faster* route to doing good knives. (And one Saturday afternoon with a smith who knows what they are doing can save you 6 months to a year over trying to learn it from the net! If you are near Central NM, get a parent to bring you over sometimes and we can go over getting started---they can forge too, or just watch.)

When you know the basics you might then think of trying my beginning bladesmithing suggestion: Get a coilspring from an auto and have it cut down opposing sides giving you a bunch of ( shaped pieces that will allow you to get used to forging the same steel again and again and try heat treating etc with the same alloy. My last visit to the scrapyard I found where someone had torched a spring like that and just left the pieces---so I scarfed them up for my next aspiring bladesmith...

Oh yes, Christmas is coming, (also Hanukkah, Dwali, etc) Asking for a copy of "The Complete Bladesmith" and "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" would be a good idea!

Reading is a good start, Harris and Heers Basic Blacksmithing, available as a free download, has a welth of useful information.

I second seeing what local groups are able to help, (or if someone is offering classes in your area). Many blacksmithing groups have weekly open forge nights where experienced people will assist your hands on learning. It also means you do not need to collect a bunch of tools and have space for things right away (and you can find out if you like the experience at low cost)

Also where about on the planet are you? IFI is represented world wide, and there may be someone nearby who is wiling to help.

Phil

Note we need only a *general* location in these days you do not want to give exact information out on the net---*especially* if you are under 18!

As an example I put my location in my profile as "Central NM" quite good enough for most things.

I'm in the UK, and I've searched online and the only available classes or 'guilds' are too far away for me to travel to. I will read the book you guys provided me with, and I now know that it was a little foolish of me for wanting to jump into the deep end before learning the basics first. I apologize if I came across as ignorant.

On the other hand there may be a smith that could help you withing 5 miles of your place. If it doesn't make you uncomfortable can you give a town or region?

I live about 80 miles away from where the majority of our ABANA Affiliate live; so if you just look at that you'd miss me.

I had several invitations from smiths to visit when I went to Wales this last spring.

On the other hand there may be a smith that could help you withing 5 miles of your place. If it doesn't make you uncomfortable can you give a town or region?

I live about 80 miles away from where the majority of our ABANA Affiliate live; so if you just look at that you'd miss me.

I had several invitations from smiths to visit when I went to Wales this last spring.

I actually live in South Wales, Monmouthshire to be more precise.

So I went to the BABA website and put in Wales in their "Find a Blacksmith" and got 22 results. Don't know anything about them or where in Wales but you might. Try it!

Don't know if they will have any smithing but there is an experimental archeology conference being put on by St Fagans Museum and Cardiff University in January.

So I went to the BABA website and put in Wales in their "Find a Blacksmith" and got 22 results. Don't know anything about them or where in Wales but you might. Try it!

Don't know if they will have any smithing but there is an experimental archeology conference being put on by St Fagans Museum and Cardiff University in January.

OK, thanks alot. I'll look more into finding a smith to help me, and order a few books from the internet. Thanks again to everyone, you've been a great help!

Welcome aboard Richie, glad to have you. Putting your general location in your header will pleasantly surprise you with how many smiths live within visiting distance. Thomas has already made a couple excellent examples of how and where to search for info about your general location.

We aren't trying to discourage you from bladesmithing, we're just trying to prevent you from setting yourself up for failure for a first try. You'll be amazed later in the journey at just how similar making nails and leaves is to bladesmithing. The most important thing to learn is control, hammer, fire and temperature to name but three. And yes, temperature control is a different thing than fire control though they're related.

Lastly, don't be a stranger here, we are all about answering questions. There are few things that'll teach you about the craft than teaching it, few things beat a good question even if we have to make up an answer. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome Ritchie. I'm new here to. I don't have much to add except to remember to always work as safely as possible. Don't be afraid to try making new things and making mistakes. These guys here will do their best to try and help you out. Hope you are having fun and enjoying your new venture.

good to see another young fella show some interest :) 15 years ago i had the same plan..... Make a dagger.....but didnt have access to a wonderful site like this, or the advice from experienced smiths such as these on here. Drink it all in! It is brilliant!

I'd like to thank all of you for assisting me here. My book on blacksmithing arrived today, 'The Blacksmith's Craft'. I'm gonna have a good long read of it over the next few days.
Also, my mum is looking into taking me to see a blacksmith not too far from me - only about 3 or 4 miles away, infact. After a few 'lessons' from him and good study of how to make something simple (it would seem that making a dagger is no easy task - as I have learnt), I'll be setting up my forge and giving it a go for myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to try? I was thinking something like a nail or a 2D pendant, or something.

Thanks again, you've all been a great help :)

Sounds like you're getting off to a good start, it isn't easy to hear someone tell you you're making a mistake and I don't think it's going to bother you at all. I learn from my mistakes and heck I savor a good mistake.

Good beginning projects eh? You might ask the smith you're going to visit. I like nails for beginning projects, they look and heck they ARE simple but they require some critical skills to make well. You need precision with your hammer and need to move FAST, the target seems to be one nail, one heat. I do em in about 3 heats but I've only been making nails for a short while. I was in a bad accident 3 years ago and survived a traumatic brain injury so some of my motor skills aren't what they used to be. making nails is perfect for helping my brain rewire itself to as normal as I've ever been. <grin>

Other good beginning projects include scrolls, finial scrolls are good they are small and require control, twists are always good for lighting a beginner's eyes up, leaves are a favorite of mine, they require a number of different processes.

Again, ask the smith you visit. Of course asking here is good, we LOVE answering questions, even if we have to make something up. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Well there are "mistakes" and then there are "mistakes". Try to avoid the ones that for me go "Dear, I've just done something stupid, can you take me to the hospital---quick!"

The "huh, there went $50 quick" mistakes are much preferred! Smaller denominations are, of course, better. The "Darnit, there went X hours of effort" mistakes are also not too terrible, in the grand scheme of things. Again, small single digit values for X are preferred.

The "I guess I need to re-dress this tool" mistakes are common and can add up to frusteration, calling it a day and coming back later is frequently the best answer for these. Often, especially for beginners, it is a sign that you are tired. Taking a break because you are missing the mark with your tools is the best way to prevent the "Dear, I need to get to the hospital quick" If you miss once, take a break, get some water, maybe a snack, and fresh air. Miss again, call it a day and clean up.

Phil