I Forge Iron

300 pound peter wright $2 per pound

Wish it was closer, what a nice piece.....

Interesting that it says the later 'England' stamp on it- yet it has no pritchel hole.

Wish it had a better picture of the weight numbers- can't make out the first number, middle number looks like a 1 and the last number looks like a 9.
Wonder what it was really weighed at, or is 300 the sellers guess?

If the marking is 2-1-9 that would be 261#, still very nice, but not 300.

Wish it was closer, what a nice piece.....

Interesting that it says the later 'England' stamp on it- yet it has no pritchel hole.

Yeah I noticed that. I wonder if the pritchel hole was filled in or if the anvil is a pre-1840 like most non-pritchel anvils. I have an I. Hill that has no pritchel but my Paragon does so it's not an issue.

I thought the heel was replaced. The transition from curve to flat on the underside just didn't sit well with me.

Might me that the shop that was using the anvil didn't need the pritchel hole. I could see someone sledging away on a hardy and missing one too many times......

It looks to me that the heel has been replaced with a 2" thick or so piece of plate with the hardy hole cut in it. It is hard to tell if a weld is visible on the side or not? some kind of discoloration is visible but could be the lighting etc.... Also the "new" heel has a different texture than the rest of the body that changes at the weld line. Weld looks to be about an inch or so thick. Maybe the thicker plate added the additional 10 lbs.